Clay Lube

Dyllayla

I cant get hold of any Poorboys Clay Lube local to me and someone told me its ok to use Super Slick and Suds diluted with water as a clay lube

Is this correct and if so, what dilution rate would be best to use ?

Any help very appreciated

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
yes, Super Slick and Suds did the job until we made a better way .. when you make soap bucket for washing the car, just double the amount and have a wash mitt always dripping down to where you are working .. clay needs to glide not rub

Dyllayla

Thank you.

Switching over to a whole new brand from what I am use to is always going to bring up some questions, and Poorboys is a brand I really love more and more. Tried PWC for the first time yesterday on my hubbys Zafira and its amazing !

One thing I am confused about is APCd as I have read that it should be diluted 15:1 yet other places say 1:1 ??

I am using Carpet & Upholstery inside the car, so APCd is only being used for door shuts and inner wheel arches. What dilution should I use for these areas please ?

BigLeegr

Token Brute and Chief Bottle Washer
Staff member
Another option for clay lube was Spray and Wipe.
The differing dilutions of APC are due to differing amounts of grime and the surface it is used upon. A light cleaning on a fairly smooth non-porous surface wouldn't require as strong a solution as soaked in oil on carpet.
If you have a QD or waterless wash such as S&W or QD+ you could use them on your door shuts. The wheel arches would depend on things like how often you clean them, what sort of roads driven on (gravel/mud vs paved) etc.-the messier the arch the stronger the solution likely needed.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
yes, 15:1 is the most often used dilution for general cleaning inside and out (tires, wheel wells) .. 1:1 would be for a greasy engine ..

and yes, what BigLeegr said ..you could use Spray and Wipe as your clay lube too

JustJesus

Helper
I did use Spray and Wipe somewhat recently, as I ran out of Clay Lube. Well, I had more stored away in a box, but needed to act fast.

Tried Spray and Wipe and it did the trick. NOT as slick as Clay Lube, but enough to finish the small section I was working on.