A little help in progression with ssr and pads to use?

S

screaming_pig

Hi,

Well I've just completed my arsnel of PB products, first time using them so fingers crossed!!
I plan to hit my Honda Civic with SSR2.5 then blackhole and finally natty's blue (its black paintwork)
Just a couple of newbie questions as I'm going to be using a machine polisher DAS-6, first time with that too :D
1. Can I go straight from SSR 2.5 to blackhole or do I need to use other SSR's in a progression?
2. Could some please recommend which pads to use, the ones I can get are the Lake country ones, was thinking of the orange one with the SSR but lost after that!!
Please help :) :)
Ian

BigLeegr

Token Brute and Chief Bottle Washer
Staff member
Technically, yes you *could* go from 2.5 to BH, but I would recommend going down to SSR1 with a polishing pad and then BH or SSR2 with a polishing pad and then BH. If you are dead set on using just SSR2.5, go over it a second time with a polishing pad to help bring out better clarity in the paint.
The orange pad is good for working out swirls/light scratches, but (in my experience) it hazes paint. It's especially noticeable on black paint. Once you get your marring under control, go over it with a polishing pad (and preferably with a milder polish) and if you feel really ambitious, go over it again with SSR1 or PP and a finishing pad. Then go to the BH and wax.

S

screaming_pig

Hi,

many thanks for such a rapid reply!!
Well firstly I'm not dead set on just using 2.5, I can easily get SSR1 if thats needed, I'm just muddling around in the dark at the moment as its the first time i've used a polisher!!
If not the orange which pads would be best suited to my paintwork, would a different pad be needed for the SSR2.5, SSR1 and blackhole? If you could please recommend what would be best suited? The paintwork is not terrible but does need some loving care!
Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get the right equipment so i can get the best results :D :D

BigLeegr

Token Brute and Chief Bottle Washer
Staff member
Here's a graph for LC pads:
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=1646

As to which pads to use, it depends on your condition. As one person thinks a slight rub is atrocious and another can't see their fender falling off, it's hard to say what you need based on words. With black, as mentioned, hazing is more readily seen, so extra care should be taken to polish it clear after correction has been done. That said, I've had pretty good results from orange pads to get rid of scuffs/light scratches. Again, though, I go over it at least once more, sometimes multiple times, with less agressive pads and polishes to "jewel" the paint. I try to get as clear a reflection as possible, and that's not possible with just an orange pad.
However, just as there is a difference in what a person sees as damage, there are differences in what results are acceptable to people. Some people agonize over dust settling on the car whereas some are thrilled when they add the "spray wax" to their monthly automatic car wash. Some people may think 3 polishing steps is pointless as the car will need to be polished again and again, especially if it's a daily driver. Hard to say what your level of acceptance is, or what your time allowance is-polishing takes time. You don't want to rush it. If you do a poor polishing job, your wax won't fix it and your final results will suffer. It's better to work on 1 section until you get it to where you like it so you know what it will take in terms of time, product and procedure than to go over the whole car quickly and see it not turn out as you like, as you will have to start all over again and will have wasted all the time you spent going over the whole car rather than just 1 section.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
you've gotten some great advice :D

If you can see swirls and scratches in any type of light, i like to go with the SSR2.5 and an orange pad to start ...follow by either SSR1 or Polish w/ Sealant or Professional Polish, then on to the Black Hole etc.

If you can only see some marring or light swirls under certain lighting , then the orange and SSR2.5 would be overkill ... there really is not science to this it's a lot of trial and error finding the right combo for your paint and experience.