Window Cleaning Solutions

Morning all,

What do you guys use to clean your interior windows, The products i normally use (windex, window wipes, etc) all leave steaks or a film and it drives me nuts!! I have a PB microfiber cloth dedicated to windows and i try to use that dry but sometimes I need a wet product to lift off heavy stuff. Any suggestions?

P

photog_gabe

I have a few window cleaners but the one I grab more often is Pinnacle glass cleaner with water repellant.

I am waiting for the day for PB to come out with their own. :smt069

BigLeegr

Token Brute and Chief Bottle Washer
Staff member
The three options noted by Poorboy's World thus far are S&G, a diluted S&W (up to 50/50 or so) or APC diluted to about 1 part APC to 100 parts water.

QD+ has also been mentioned here by a member as quite effective on sunglasses, so that may also be an option.

Another option is Isopropyl alcohol. Light mist and wipe. Evaporates quickly. Make sure you don't get overspray on your plastics etc. as it may dry them out some.

And finally, make sure you have a cloth dedicated to glass. Some people use their QD cloth on glass as well. This could end with you rubbing QD residue on the glass.
Often the streaking is not apparent at first, but then a couple days later it appears. This is usually due to the cleaner not being buffed off entirely. The job of the cleaner is to attract the dirt to it from the surface, which then allows you to wipe the dirt and cleaner off the glass. A problem arises when some cleaner is left on the glass. The surfactants in the cleaner keep working (drawing dirt to it) which means that dirt gets "thicker" where the cleaner hadn't been totally buffed off. A thorough buffing is important. So is using a clean cloth. (I like using the Velvet Smooth cloth, although some people seem to prefer the Opti-cloth.)

theamcguy

Advanced Helper
The three options noted by Poorboy's World thus far are S&G, a diluted S&W (up to 50/50 or so) or APC diluted to about 1 part APC to 100 parts water.

QD+ has also been mentioned here by a member as quite effective on sunglasses, so that may also be an option.

Another option is Isopropyl alcohol. Light mist and wipe. Evaporates quickly. Make sure you don't get overspray on your plastics etc. as it may dry them out some.

And finally, make sure you have a cloth dedicated to glass. Some people use their QD cloth on glass as well. This could end with you rubbing QD residue on the glass.
Often the streaking is not apparent at first, but then a couple days later it appears. This is usually due to the cleaner not being buffed off entirely. The job of the cleaner is to attract the dirt to it from the surface, which then allows you to wipe the dirt and cleaner off the glass. A problem arises when some cleaner is left on the glass. The surfactants in the cleaner keep working (drawing dirt to it) which means that dirt gets "thicker" where the cleaner hadn't been totally buffed off. A thorough buffing is important. So is using a clean cloth. (I like using the Velvet Smooth cloth, although some people seem to prefer the Opti-cloth.)

What a great explanation. I never knew that. Thank you.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
I have a few window cleaners but the one I grab more often is Pinnacle glass cleaner with water repellant.

I am waiting for the day for PB to come out with their own. :smt069

if you want the best water repellant , polish the windshield with Professional Polish ... just returned from Florida and when I arrived I picked a Black Malibu LTZ so we would have a good demo car at Detail Fest ... one thing about the rental cars, they come with water spots and really bad ones at that. I had to have Pockets overnight me some PP and a white hand pad ... I could not see out of the window at night ... a little PP & a good rubbing with the white hand pad and the windows and side mirror were clean, spot free and no haze. Buffing was done with a DMT ...
Two days later we are driving down I95 and the Florida rain starts ...rain hits the windshield and just disappears , the worked until the sky broke open and you couldn't see in front of you .. at this point Pockets pointed out it might be a good time to use the wipers ... they were smooth a the glass was prefectly clean after the storm .. no water spots at all on any of the glass that was polished.

P

photog_gabe

if you want the best water repellant , polish the windshield with Professional Polish ... just returned from Florida and when I arrived I picked a Black Malibu LTZ so we would have a good demo car at Detail Fest ... one thing about the rental cars, they come with water spots and really bad ones at that. I had to have Pockets overnight me some PP and a white hand pad ... I could not see out of the window at night ... a little PP & a good rubbing with the white hand pad and the windows and side mirror were clean, spot free and no haze. Buffing was done with a DMT ...
Two days later we are driving down I95 and the Florida rain starts ...rain hits the windshield and just disappears , the worked until the sky broke open and you couldn't see in front of you .. at this point Pockets pointed out it might be a good time to use the wipers ... they were smooth a the glass was prefectly clean after the storm .. no water spots at all on any of the glass that was polished.

Two awesome replies here with great info. Thanks.