which products do I use?

NINaudio

Advanced Helper
Hi there :smt006 ,

I bought a 2007 black Accord that I'd like to keep looking nice. I've heard a lot about Poor Boy products and wanted to try them out. I'm pretty new to the world of detailing, so I guess I'm looking for a complete set of products to use: wash, glaze, seal, wax, and quick detailer to use in between washes as well as after washes to prolong the wax protection. Which of your products would work best for me?

Also, what does a person use once or twice a year to remove the glaze, seal, and wax before applying fresh coats of each?

Thanks!

BigLeegr

Token Brute and Chief Bottle Washer
Staff member
Polish will remove old coats of wax.
As to what you need, it depends on what method of application you will employ. Is it going to be done by hand or machine? If by machine will it be a "mart" buffer, a da polisher or a rotary? (I'm guessing not a rotary since you are new to this.)

NINaudio

Advanced Helper
hey Bigleegr,

Application will be by hand. Since the car was purchased used, it does have some minor surface scratches, that couldn't be buffed out, so something that would minimize the appearance of them would be great as well.

BigLeegr

Staff member
For minimizing, go with a glaze (Black Hole is for black).
Follow that with Natty's Blue (paste or liquid). QD+ can help minimize light marring too.
For a one step wax, try PwC Blue.

NINaudio

Advanced Helper
thanks again bigleegr!

So a total system for me then would look like this:

wash: product of my choice
polish: professional polish
glaze: blackhole
sealer: EX?
wax: Natty's blue
Quick wash/detail: QD+ or PwC blue

does that look about right?

NINaudio

Advanced Helper
also, if I were to use the PwC blue, could I then apply glaze and sealant over that? Or should I only use glaze and sealant after using straight polish?

BigLeegr

Staff member
You can apply the glaze and EX over PwC.
You might still be able to get SS&S with wax, otherwise SS&S is a good choice of shampoo. In case you hadn't considered it, Spray & Wipe is a nice product to have. It can be used as a waterless wash as well as a lube for clay (if you end up trying it later). It can also be used to help remove polish or wax residue if you applied too thick or it baked on.

Also, invest in high quality mf cloths. Black shows marring very easily. Poor quality cloths will cause aggravation.
Another point is to be gentle and take your time when washing or qd'ing the car. Quick but causing marring will cost you more time polishing out the defects.

Do you have protectants for vinyl and rubber?

NINaudio

Advanced Helper
No, I don'y have vinyl or rubber protectants at the moment. I forgot about those. Will need something for the leather interior as well. lol

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
i would get Leather Stuff to use on a leather seats and it also gives a great matt finish on vinyl dashboards as well as other leather or vinyl pieces in the interior. :D

The line up Bigleegr set up is a very good one and very complete .. you also left out dressing for the tires .. Bold N Bright Gel is now my favorite as there is no waste in the air and no secondary clean up of wheels or nearby paint. It also seems to hold up a little better.

NINaudio

Advanced Helper
OK, so in prep for my visit to the detailing weekend I'm going back over this subject again. =) What are the differences between the QD+, Spray & Wipe, and Spray & Gloss? PwC blue can also be used as a quick detailer and touch up?

I also feel like I have a huge product list, are any of these redundant or overkill to have and use together:

Wash: SS & S or Meguiar's Gold wash (I already have a gallon of this)
Sealant: EX
Polish: Professional, or PwC blue? Not sure which one would be best, professional says it is good for windows and headlights as well
Glaze: Black Hole
Wax: Natty's Blue
Touch up: See my question above:
wheels: Spray & Rinse & wheel sealant
tires: Bold & Bright tire gel
Interior: Leather Stuff

BigLeegr

Staff member
S+W=waterless wash
S+G=gloss enhancement after a wash
QD+=gloss boost, a little added protection and can be used to clean up fingerprints etc. (such as while at car shows).
PwC Blue is not a QD, it is an AIO (all-in-one) product, which means it can be used by itself instead of using a light polish and a separate wax (1 step instead of 2). It should only be used on a surface that has been washed first.
PP is purely a polish. After using it you still need to apply a wax or sealant.

ronkh

Da King
You could come to detail weekend and try the stuff and get some great assistance at the same time.....

NINaudio

Advanced Helper
So during detail weekend I used Spray n Wipe, bug squash, bright n bold gel, pro polish 2, SSR1, and then liquid Natty's blue on the exterior of my car. Used leather stuff and natural look on the interior. I left buying some microfiber towels, S&W, S&G, bug squash, natural look, and LNB. I can't believe how easy it is to use LNB. And mother nature was kind enough to show me LNB's beading properties the very next day.