ssr 1 & 2.5 application, very lost

J

jstretch

Hello,

I recently bought a 5 year old sedan in great condition. I since have waxed it 3 times with S100. I always noticed the swirl marks but never knew products like these existed. Seeing pictures on the web I would describe the swirls as typical for a 5 year old car. Anyhow my tubes came in the mail today and I decided to test it on the left half of my trunk (after a good wash of course).

I dont have a Porter Cable, I do have a random orbital, but I decided to apply by hand with a terry pad and buff with microfiber. After 2 attempts with the SSR2.5 I noticed the swirls were getting worse! Then I tried the SSR1 and nothing changed. Rubbing my hand over both sides of the trunk I do notice that its now much smoother on the left.

Considering I have 3 coats of good beezwax on there I think I just havn't gotten to the clear coat yet...should I keep trying? Use the random orbital? Go buy a PC?

If I need a PC, how long do you keep the pad over one area? It only says to use light pressure on the bottle.

Any help appreciated!!

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
jstretch said:
Hello,

I recently bought a 5 year old sedan in great condition. I since have waxed it 3 times with S100. I always noticed the swirl marks but never knew products like these existed. Seeing pictures on the web I would describe the swirls as typical for a 5 year old car. Anyhow my tubes came in the mail today and I decided to test it on the left half of my trunk (after a good wash of course).

I dont have a Porter Cable, I do have a random orbital, but I decided to apply by hand with a terry pad and buff with microfiber. After 2 attempts with the SSR2.5 I noticed the swirls were getting worse! Then I tried the SSR1 and nothing changed. Rubbing my hand over both sides of the trunk I do notice that its now much smoother on the left.

Considering I have 3 coats of good beezwax on there I think I just havn't gotten to the clear coat yet...should I keep trying? Use the random orbital? Go buy a PC?

If I need a PC, how long do you keep the pad over one area? It only says to use light pressure on the bottle.

Any help appreciated!!

Welcome to the forum... :D

First, yes you need a pc to accomplish what you really want..put the random that you have on a shelf and forget about it.
Second...if you are going to work by hand you need a cotton cloth not a pad with foam in it. Working by hand you need to create heat and friction...this means hard and fast rubbing in a back and forth motion over small areas at a time...a few inches tops!!! That is the only way the SSRs will break down and remove swirls.. The pc creates this same friction at speeds of 5-6 closer to 6 will get better and quicker results. It's impossible to say how many passes you will need to make by hand or pc without actually being there to see it and the results after each pass.
For the pc you may need different levels of pads by hand you may need different levels of abrasive cloths. Hope this helps and feel free to ask more questions :wink:

J

jstretch

I noticed the PC7424 that everyone recommends is random orbital also? Is this what I should get?

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
jstretch said:
I noticed the PC7424 that everyone recommends is random orbital also? Is this what I should get?

that's a good machine as is the 7336 sold at your local lowes with the better 6" counter weight for about the same money.. Dewault also make a machine that has been said to be better.
The biggest differences in your random orbital and the Porter cable/ Dewault is the motor behind it and the ability to go to higher speeds. It is also the ability to attach various pads rather than using the stretch bonnets.

M

mblgjr

Either of the aforementioned PC units are fine and virtually the same, save for the counterweight.

The DeWalt can be a rotary or a Random, which is why it offers slightly more versatility. However, for most people, the PC units are virtually error proof and do their job very well and at a very reasonable price.

There are also several online detail houses that offer PC combos that inlcude the pads and backing plate that you will need to get started.

Good Luck.