Soon(I hope) I'll be using my pc

rabbi

Do I work the prods. in on #3 setting then crank it up to 6 on all of them? I'm just an old man trying to learn how to use a new toy.All adivice will be greatly appreciated.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
I just spead it on 2-3 and then crank it to 5.5 and sometimes 6 for a short spurt

B

Booyaa

I to start off slow, and probably stay slow at around 3 for longer than most. But always end up at 5 and 6. It's important to work the product, but I like to go fast to.

R

Rob

Maybe I'm just impatient but I dab a small circle of dots (pea sized) around my pad (~5-6) then rub a small circle once and fire that bad boy up! I run 4-5 to preserve motor life (and my aching hands!!) till done. The pad should get a small ring of product then I decrease to 2-3 small dabs. Remember too much product is worse than not enough!

G

Rob said:
Maybe I'm just impatient but I dab a small circle of dots (pea sized) around my pad (~5-6) then rub a small circle once and fire that bad boy up! I run 4-5 to preserve motor life (and my aching hands!!) till done. The pad should get a small ring of product then I decrease to 2-3 small dabs. Remember too much product is worse than not enough!
For polishes I do about what you do. I put some product on my pad, fire it up to 6 and go to town until it is done. I use like speed 2 or 3 for sealants and waxes.

Beercan31

Advanced Helper
rabbi

You will soon find your own method, what works for you does not nessaryly work for others, so take advise lightly.

what I do is swirl a small amount of product on a pad
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a298/ ... ure082.jpg
Look at the size of the area I'm going to work will determine how much product to use. what you see here is about the Max you should use for a rectangle 23"x33". what I do even before turning on the machine is set the pad down on the lower left section of my work area
then touch it to the upper right,
then upper left,
then lower right,
your making an X pattern
as you will see evey time you touch the surface you get less and less product on the surface, thats ok.

Start with the polisher at 2-3 and work the lower left to right in a zig-zag pattern working up to the top, you at this time should be a bit fast in your movement, you are trying to spread the product evenly not polish at this time. Once you have finished the left to right bottom to top, you now should do a top to bottom right to left again, bit fast in your movement, you are trying to spread the product evenly not polish.

Once you see that the product is evenly spread and there is not a large build up you can comfortably bring the speed up on the polisher...to 5.5 and SLOW your movement down...... Now your polishing, you can go in what ever direction that is comfortable for you just keep an eye on the product left behind the buffing pad.....you want to see product left behind if you do NOT your DRY BUFFING...not a good idea....dry buffing can lead to swirls/Holograms.

if you experience a slight cloudy appearance on a dark color, there are a few solutions
1. you may have not worked the polish enough.
2. your pad choice my be to aggressive
3. you may be applying to much down pressure.

Good luck, Please keep us posted on you progress.

R

Rob

Okay, I'd like to hear what you all think. I was checking all the application pictures (including black yukon's) and WOW seems like you guys use A LOT of product when you polish. I'd like to hear the concensus, do you guys all use that much when you polish (SSR 2.5, etc.)? I've never used that much but maybe I'm missing out and better results are to be had (oooh I just got goose bumps!)

R

Rob

OOOOH Daddy! Guess I should have been using a bit more product! The results were actually slightly better and took less time! I used a thin ribbon (1/8") around the circumference of a lake country 6.5" pad.

Beercan31

Advanced Helper
The reason you see so much on my pad is because I was working a larger area than normal, and the last thing i wanted to do is dry buff.

cwcad

Helper
Everyone has given great advice. The only thing that I would like to emphsize is that when polishing go slow. One inch per second. Let the product and machine work together.