Rubicon Detail

T

Trinidad

I completed my first PC DA detail over the weekend on my daily driver. It was my first time using a PC and PB products and I must say I'm fairly satisfied with the final results.
Here are the products I purchased to complete the task.

Overall I'm happy with most products and the stand out being the Black Hole glaze. I'm thinking a contest where contestants are blind folded and they try and identify the product by how they smell would be a great idea, **** they smell good.. lol

I swear I spent an hour alone taping... so much plastic..

I got most of the scratches out my paint however I think I'd need to move up to SSR3 or I need to improve my technique as it's likely a few more passes may have gotten rid of the remaining scratches using SSR 2.5.

I needed to remind myself that it's a daily driver and used in extreme conditions in the fall during Hunting season, spends most of it's times covered in mud and the paint get's rubbed up against corn stalks and branches on top of the Canadian winters (SALT!!) . However my OCD and common sense are in an ongoing battle..

A few lessons learned from this newbie,
Can't have enough pads or MF towels
Remember that while you may try to achieve perfection unless it's a garage queen don't sweat on getting it 100% you'll drive yourself nuts
Pro Polish and Pro polish 2 are not the same thing.. Long story lol
While applying sealant by hand don't apply too much or you'll be bitching on how hard it is to remove. This likely goes for most if not all products.
Applying the correct pressure with a DA is an ongoing battle.
Should have a paid a bit more and upgraded to the Flex 3401 -

Here are a few questions -

How do you prime your pads? I used this method http://www.eshine.ca/Buffing_Pad_Care.htm and it worked great however does this technique get me the maximum effectives from PB's products? Should I prime the pad with product instead?
Does PB have a chart that shows the aggressiveness of it's products?
How many passes should I make with SSR 2.5 and an orange pad before I know that this is as much defect that this combination will remove? 3, 4, 5, 6?

Here are the final results... after 12 hours. "Black is not a colour it's a full time job"

Should have removed the tape for the 50/50 on my test spot but man what a difference.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
nice work :smt023 there is no real way to tell you how many passes with any one product with any particular pad. Each case is unique to itself. With time and experience you learn how far a combo can go for you and also the limitations each machine has. Remember the PC is slow at removing defects compared to the Flex or a rotary, but as you see patience can give you spectacular results.

sscully

Advanced Helper
Turned out great for a 1st detail with a DA.

Don't sweat not getting them out the 1st time you detail it. Sure enough you will be going after them again about mid summer ( just wait, the bug will get you ) and you will get half or more of what is left of the defects removed.
- I beat on my PC7424 ( liberated from the wood shop ) for 9+ years before I went to a Flex, nothing wrong with them at all, solid machine that will serve you well. I only got the Flex because more friends & family started having me do their cars, I don't do this for money.

PP & PP2 two different animals, got that right !

I am king lazy these days, I use PP & PP2, have not picked up any of the SSR line since I figured out what I was doing wrong with the supposition that I made up from reading the labels on PP. Heck I keep some in a squeeze bottle under the kitchen sink for cleaning chrome faucets and solid surface counter tops, right next to the SnW ( how has about as many PB products in it as the garage I think ).

Might want to try some PP and go at it with an Orange pad ( I know, outside the suggested use. ). You might be shocked how well this combo works with a few passes, before stepping down to a black pad ( LC color codes ).

heck

Advanced Helper
My go to for a Daily Driver is Pro Polish 2 with a green pad. Pro Polish 2 is an excellent paint cleaner and removes defects fairly quickly.

Pro polish with white pad I use for car that I have already detailed and just detailing on a regular basis.

Your mileage and technique may vary. This is what just works for me.