RollingRock's new project truck

Rollingrock

Advanced Helper
I have an 06 Black F150 detail for Sunday lined up.

Had a chance to preview the truck today to see what I will be working with. It has major scratches on it along with some of the worst spider webbing swirls I have seen on a black car.

I have some befores right now to share, but will post more tomorrow after I am finished.

This is what I am working with.

IMG_1500.jpg

IMG_1502.jpg

IMG_1503.jpg

I don't even know what this is on the paint.
IMG_1506.jpg

L

littlemissGTO

Patiently waiting the afters. I wish it was warm enough here for me to do some serious detailing to my car.

Rollingrock

Advanced Helper
Here we go:

Ok, saw this truck yesterday and honestly I wasn't sure I could make that much of a difference in it. This truck has been well used for hunting, camping, working etc. Its surface was really in bad shape and well its black.

After claying it I felt more and more unsure about what impact I could make so I told the owner (Tony) that if we got it 80% better I would be pleased. He agreed.

The 1st hour after claying was spent working on one section doing experiments on different products and pad combinations.

I ended up doing this:

Clay
PB SSR3, Yellow Lake
PB SSR1 Green Lake
PB Pro Polish, White Lake
PB Polish with Sealant, Black Lake
Collinite 845

I also learned a lot on this truck today, too much to post but I did learn a few tricks. Tony got to play with a DA today and we both went at it together for the last few steps.

A few befores (most of the truck looked like this)
IMG_1514.jpg

IMG_1515.jpg

After PB SSR3, SSR1 and PB PP
IMG_1517.jpg

IMG_1521.jpg

IMG_1523.jpg

IMG_1524.jpg

IMG_1527.jpg

IMG_1530.jpg

------
IMG_1532.jpg

IMG_1535.jpg

IMG_1539.jpg

IMG_1538.jpg

This was one of the toughest ones I have worked on. Seriously I was worried...but in the end I am pretty happy with the results. Tony was happy too.

IMG_1541.jpg

IMG_1522.jpg

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
Looks like you did a fine job and have learned quite a bit about how to use the products and choose the right pads for each stage of the job :D
glad Tony liked the results, let's just hope he stays out of the woods for a little while :smt004

Rollingrock

Advanced Helper
Poorboy said:
Looks like you did a fine job and have learned quite a bit about how to use the products and choose the right pads for each stage of the job :D
glad Tony liked the results, let's just hope he stays out of the woods for a little while :smt004

PB Pro Polish with a White Lake pad is really nice....I have used that combo before but I was more impressed this time. One thing that I did differetnly with this truck was that I used the DA on the highest speed with very light pressure (the pressure of the DA itself) and I was getting better results. Not sure is that is the right way to do that but I tried at lower speeds and it didn't seem to become as clear.

Anyone have thoughts on that?

My concern is that I don't like to run the DA at hight speeds if unnecessary.

This was the condition of the paint on the entire truck.
IMG_1508.jpg

Personally I think this was borderline doable with a PC and a Flex or a rotary may have been the better choice.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
Pro Polish can serve different purposes when used with different pads and speeds .... using on a pc at high speed is almost comparable to using it with a rotary on low speed :wink:

Rollingrock

Advanced Helper
Poorboy said:
Pro Polish can serve different purposes when used with different pads and speeds .... using on a pc at high speed is almost comparable to using it with a rotary on low speed :wink:

Does that mean with as little cut as that product has combined with a White Lake pad, you remove the same amount of clear as a rotary?

I really need to get a paint depth meter. :)

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
Rollingrock said:
Poorboy said:

Does that mean with as little cut as that product has combined with a White Lake pad, you remove the same amount of clear as a rotary?

with a white pad it will more than likely give a higher gloss vs cutting ...
an orange or yellow pad would remove a very small amount of clear with prolonged use at high speeds with a pc

Rollingrock

Advanced Helper
Poorboy said:
Rollingrock said:
Poorboy said:

an orange or yellow pad would remove a very small amount of clear with prolonged use at high speeds with a pc

Just making sure we were on the same page I didn't think the white had much cut to it. I currently have 2 full sets of Lake VC pads but I am going to order a few more White pads b/c they seem to be very, very versatile.

Thanks

RollingRock

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
Rollingrock said:
Poorboy said:
Rollingrock said:
Poorboy said:

Just making sure we were on the same page I didn't think the white had much cut to it. I currently have 2 full sets of Lake VC pads but I am going to order a few more White pads b/c they seem to be very, very versatile.

Thanks

RollingRock

yes, the white is a polishing pad ...minimal cutting of the clearcoat ... VC's are getting hard to come by, most people are going to the CCS pads ...I personally have not had a chance to try them, but friends have said they work pretty good :)

RANDAL

RIP our Friendly Farmer
EXCELLANT turn around. make sme want to go town to clean mine, but its cold 12 degrees. RANDAL