Road Paint Removal From Black Plastic Trim and Wheel Wells

stevot22

Helper
Help!

My wife's BMW X5 has road paint on the black plastic wheel well trim, as well as up inside of the wheel well. The overspray on the paint comes right off; 1 Black Hole, 2 EX-P, 1 Natty's Blue; (thank you very much PB's) but I'm not sure about how to attack the overspray on the plastic without scraping it up. The State info site recommends coating the overspray with Vaseline and letting it sit for a day.

Does anyone have advice to offer? I have Bug Squash, APC, Pro Polish and Trim Restorer at the ready.

Thank you,
Steve

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
Sorry to here and been there too many times to count ...

I would start on the trim in an inconspicuous spot with a soft brush or MBM (Mesh Bug Microfiber),or even a toothbrush if you have nothing else and some Bug Squash .. remember to always keep the plastic wet while working .. if you need to go stronger, go to the APC diluted at least 50/50 to start and do the same.
On some show and high end vehicles, I have done in the past, I have literally used my fingernail and popped the paint spots one at a time :(
For the Wheel wells, you can use the same, but you can be a bit more aggressive.

stevot22

Helper
Thanks for your reply and support! The APC does seem to soften it up to where I can nudge it off of the trim. I have slathered the inconspicuous areas with bag balm, lacking Vaseline, which seems to be working; allowing me to scrape it off with a soft wooden paint stirrer. The running boards will take the majority of the time, but I will prevail because Trim Restorer will dress up the plastic again.

I will try the Bug Squash at full strength.

Looking at having to paint the rear wheel well because the liner is some sort of impregnated fabric.

Ugh..

Thanks again P.B.. You are the best!

stevot22

Helper
Update for future reference.

Used APC full strength with one of those kitchen sponges that have a scrub pad on the flip-side on the trim you can see, using light pressure and multiple passes. The plastic is rough textured so no harm. Followed up with Trim Restorer; looks great.

Believe it or not, the Bag Balm worked good on the front, plastic wheel well; softening the paint so it was easily scraped with the afore mentioned paint stirrer. The rear, fabric wheel well was wet repeatedly with 7:1 APC until the paint could be scraped; not perfect, but can probably be blackened with permanent marker once it dries.