Regular maintenance between wex/sealant

H

Hammer3.8

Hey guys,

I've been away from the forum for a while and boy I miss it! And it seems I've built up a ton of questions.

This one is about regular maintanence between waxes, and sealants.

I just bought a new focus, and I'm getting my mustang repainted (I know I have to wait 3 months before a good detailing). What I plan on using for both is to start with PP, then EXP (2 coats), then top it off with Natty's blue (3 coats).

The EXP will go on twice a year, and between then I will wax every couple months. Will use S&G and QW+ regularly between waxes.

When I do the next wax do I need to polish the car first, or do I just apply a the wax? Will polishing remove all the previous wax and selant causing the need to re-apply both?

When it's time to re-apply the sealant, do you recommend using SSR 1 or just the polish to strip all the old stuff off?

Thanks for all the help guys!

Cheers

BigLeegr

Token Brute and Chief Bottle Washer
Staff member
Steve will probably offer differing views, but here are mine:

Yes, polishing will remove at least most if not all the previous wax/sealant, so you would need to re-apply both after polishing.

The need to polish or not would depend on whether or not there is oxidation (not likely on a new car) or marring present, and if the previous coats have weathered too much to be a solid base for the next coat. (looks dull/lifeless) Use of QW+ will aid in preventing the lifeless look as it has mild cleaners in it.

Either PP or SSR1 will work. SSR1 is a mild abrasive, PP is functionally non-abrasive, so you may need to use more skill with the PP. Also, each give a different look. PP=more clear, SSR1= more glossy. Your choice. On light marring/cleaning old wax off both will work.

(Also, it's typically though of as a good start to clay a car before each major detail, in case you forgot/didn't know. ;) )