Okay, talk to me about S&G

V

VroomVroom

Others have raved about this product, so I'm thinking it's gotta' be me. I just find it very difficult to remove. Anyone else in the same boat? I took another shot yesterday morning, after having applied NB the day before. I ended up being pretty liberal with S&W to remove the residue/haze it (S&G) left behind.

I don't think I'm using too much material, I shake it thoroughly before using, it's always used with a clean MF polishing towel...what am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance...

G

VroomVroom said:
Others have raved about this product, so I'm thinking it's gotta' be me. I just find it very difficult to remove. Anyone else in the same boat? I took another shot yesterday morning, after having applied NB the day before. I ended up being pretty liberal with S&W to remove the residue/haze it (S&G) left behind.
I don't think I'm using too much material, I shake it thoroughly before using, it's always used with a clean MF polishing towel...what am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance...
Maybe try a thicker MF.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
If all else fails Jerry, wait until the end of the week when some new towels arrive :wink:

BigLeegr

Token Brute and Chief Bottle Washer
Staff member
Try using less.
Ensure the towel doesn't become saturated with product.
Don't let it dry before buffing off.
If you get streaks, spray a *little* on the cloth and re-buff. Should come out good.
I can get it to work well, but, yeah, when I first tried it I got streaking... fairly badly. Steve seemed shocked! :eek: :smt104

But as I said, it can work well, but isn't fool-proof.

awd330

Advanced Helper
Do you machine wash your towels with fabric softener? Do you use dryer sheets? Do you use the same towels for any other purpose besides QD sprays?

Any of the above may lead to streaking problems. Fabric softener and dryer sheets normally leave a residue on the towels. Not using dedicated QD towels may be a problem if you have grease/wax/polish on them that wasn't completed removed during your towel washing process. You may also need more absorbent towels.

V

VroomVroom

The towels get washed with detergent only, double-rinsed, and dried with no fabric softeners until "mostly dry" - I've found that makes them easier to fold with no static.

I don't distinguish that deeply with the polishing towels - I essentially park them in two piles..."okay for paint" and "okay for everything else." :) If the towels were the problem I'd think there'd be streaking with S&W and every other product...not the case though.

It's a mystery - I like to think I'm pretty good about using a small amount of product - but I'll take another crack at it.

BigLeegr

Token Brute and Chief Bottle Washer
Staff member
poorboy said:
some microfiber work better than others with certain products... :wink:
And what's your recommendation for this particular product, sir?

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
BigLeegr said:
poorboy said:
some microfiber work better than others with certain products... :wink:
And what's your recommendation for this particular product, sir?

thick and absorbant works for me, but i often use the large velvet smooth with is also very absorbant but not thick..i think the key here is absorbant:)

Beercan31

Advanced Helper
VroomVroom said:
after having applied NB the day before. I ended up being pretty liberal with S&W to remove the residue/haze it (S&G) left behind.

My 2 Cents...

Jerry How are you applying S&G?

can you be a bit more specific on your process, please.

What I do is prime the sprayer by pulling the trigger away from the veh, as to get any air that might be between the nozzle and the bottle, Spritz the car at least 15-20 inches above the finish and then wipe the veh. with a plush dry clean towel... I do not spray the S&G on the towel and then wipe the veh.

V

VroomVroom

Hi Rich, 15" - 20" sounds about right - maybe closer to 10"-12" on the roof (I'm short :)). Light spritz, and then light back & forth motion with the MF polishing towel. I will be trying out some more absorbant towels this weekend.

Beercan31

Advanced Helper
VV

If for some reason you are having an issue with your towels, try using a scoop full of "Oxi-Clean" instead of laundry detergent and run it through the rinse cycle twice. you may need to add more Oxi-Clean depending on how clogged your Microfibers are.

I have found it near impossible to find laundry detergent with out some kind of additive to enhance softness.....these additives seem to make the Microfibers less absorbent to almost water proof.

If you don't mine let us all here know what your solution was, so we can further help those later on down the line.

Thanks in Advance.

V

VroomVroom

Ok, so I got some more quality time with the Mrs.' car yesterday. Took the time to apply another coat of Natty's Blue...always a happy thing...and then came back a few hours later, armed with S&G and a genuine Poorboys MF towel. The results?

Happy happy. :)

Kind of a mystery since I've never had the issue with any other product, but my other towels just don't seem to play nicely with S&G. In any case, as Steve suggested, absorbancy appears to have been the issue. No problems with removing the product. Here are a couple of late-afternoon shots...

car2.jpg

car1.jpg