Natty's Paste. Red or Blue.

R

rossmeister

Greetings once again!

It has been several months since I've last visited these forums and wanted to share my detailing experiences. I now own a '12 Honda Fit in Vortex Blue Pearl Metallic. Quite a beautiful color I might add. Since the car sat on the dealer's lot for gosh knows how long, I decided to give it a (almost) complete detail. I did not have a clay bar so I went straight to polishing using a "whiplash inducing" non-abrasive polish. Yeegads the white hand pads I used were FILTHY after use, but the polish added clarification to my paint, as well as filling some of the minor imperfections. Don't you guys (and gals) just love the dealership induced swirl option?

I next used the same company's sealant, which added a deeper and darker color to my paint. Application and removal were also easy, though a bit hard in places where I put it on a little too thickly. But the results were still great. I did notice, however, that it turned my car into a virtual dust magnet.

Fast forward a week later. After washing my car, I was dying to try out the latest addition to my collection of waxes, a spray wax that was formulated for "Optimum" results. My impressions on this spray? Mixed. On the plus side, once you've learned to apply it properly, waxing is fast and easy. It also noticeably brightened my paint, making the metallic flakes pop, even in the shade. And it almost totally eliminated the dust magnet effect of the bottom coat of sealant.

The negatives? It is finicky, temperature-wise, and it has a slight learning curve needed for application and removal, and its durability. Or lack of. My car is a DD and is exposed to the elements 24/7, so it didn't last very long. Maybe 2 weeks at most. And please note that this first time use of the product was during the height of summer, so do doubt the heat and sun exposure played a huge factor.

But recently my thinking on the durability of the various sealants and waxes has ceased being of the utmost importance to me, since I plan on re-applying at regular intervals anyway. Now my thinking is geared more towards maximizing the appearance of my finish. Just because I'm an ugly looking little runt doesn't mean my car has to be the same way. LOL

So now I've come full circle and am thinking about the Natty's series of paste waxes again, specifically the Blue and Red. The Blue, if I understand product descriptions correctly, is geared more towards darks, whereas the Red is for all types. My question is twofold: What is the application and removal method for Blue and Red? Are they WOWO or should they be allowed to haze over before buffing-off? I realize that temperature and humidity play a big factor for flash times. It seems that the winter months would favor the WOWO method.

I also plan on using up whatever spray wax I have left. Maybe I'll purchase more. Maybe not. My decision right now is more towards the latter. What maintenance product do you recommend for those in-between times?

What are your thoughts and opinions?

:smile:

BigLeegr

Token Brute and Chief Bottle Washer
Staff member
Officially, the jars state that you should allow the pastes to haze. Steve has also mentioned this elsewhere. However, Pockets made a post using a Natty paste and a WOWO method to show how one might apply some wax during a cold spell. By doing the WOWO method you will likely be reducing the longevity, but if this is not of paramount concern to you, then there you go. Also, if you go WOWO, you should apply it very thinly, as you will have a harder time removing it fully if it hasn't first hazed.

sscully

Advanced Helper
Yes that spray wax ( took the hint literally ) it very picky for streaking, if you use the hand test for applying PB in the sun, that one won't work the same.
- Hand test is if you can comfortable keep your hand on the paint for 20 ( ?) seconds, it is good to go. Dark paint this mean any time in the sun and that other spray wax will streak. Nice part PB SnW will take the streaking right out. It might not have been heat, but too much product per panel, or too large of a panel being worked. Those are the other 2 things that can cause streaking with that product.

If you are going with more frequent applications of Natty's just skip that spray wax and use spray & gloss between applications. This might also decrease the durability of the application, but I would guess much less of a concern vs a poly / carnauba based spray wax ( which could impact the bonding of Nattys ).

The red vs Blue, depends on what you are after. Blue will aid the "depth" to the finish, topping with red gives it a pop, where if you would use all layers of red on a dark paint, it will pop like crazy, but the finish will only look about 1mm thick. I tried this on my dark stone F150 just so I could see what happens with them.

I did the WOWO testing last winter, and it works well for adding a layer to the paint when it is cold out ( I was doing it in ~ 55* garage, not in 40* outside like Pockets / Steve did ).

When it is over 60* I got for WO - Haze - WO method. 2 thin coats and wait 24 hr before going to the next step in the layer.

I'd just stick to Nattys blue layers and use Spray & Gloss ( or Spray & wipe ) between applications. Maybe toss in a red layer every now and then to give it some pop.

Save the other spray wax for door jambs and along the trunk & hood areas, works well for that. Light mist and work it in.

R

rossmeister

I'd just stick to Nattys blue layers and use Spray & Gloss ( or Spray & wipe ) between applications. Maybe toss in a red layer every now and then to give it some pop.

Thanks for the great tips! As per an earlier posting, I was more inclined towards QD+, but since I don't have much luck with spray waxes, SnG sounds better as a maintenance product. Believe it or not, I actually do miss the wipe-on/let haze/wipe-off of a paste or liquid wax/sealant. Let's me see if I applied properly and evenly.

Thanks again!

:smt023

R

rossmeister

Woohoo! Just received my Natty's Blue paste. Only problem is it seems to have dried out a little. Pushed a finger in to see if it was dried out all the way. Nope. Residue on finger still oily. Is it still good to go?

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
Woohoo! Just received my Natty's Blue paste. Only problem is it seems to have dried out a little. Pushed a finger in to see if it was dried out all the way. Nope. Residue on finger still oily. Is it still good to go?

nope, that's the way it is supposed to be !!! It's a hard wax that you only need to lightly rub your applicator to the surface to get the wax ...each jar should do about 25 coats ;)

sscully

Advanced Helper
Hint on usage from me...

I use the Red hand pads that PB sells on the site.

I cut them into 4 equal sections and use the 1/4 of the red pad, run it around in a circle in the container, and it will start to liquify.

Scrap it off on the inside lip of the container, and use the damp pad to apply to the paint. What you liquify should be enough to do the 2 thin coats on the car.

Just watch that 1st use of the pad, it is loaded as far as coverage. I make a stripe down the hood ( rear to front ) and then work it side to side.
- to give you an idea, depending on how hard I pressed when scrapping it on the inside lip, I can generally do the whole hood of the truck with the pad that 1st time.