Nattys Blue ?

van185

Advanced Helper
I got a can of Nattys Blue paste wax last year and and had not opened until yesterday. I normally take the whole piece of wax out of the jar and put it on the foam pad. When I tried to take the Natty's Blue from the jar it came out in multiply pieces and had a grainy feel to it. Would the wax still be safe to use? I was kinda afraid of it putting swirls on the paint. I have used the regular Nattys wax on details for about the last year and love the stuff, but was unsure about this jar. Have you had that problem before and would it still be safe to use?

A

aalves

I have the same question. I notice that the wax has grains. Really love the looks but not the wax itself.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
it can get a bit brittle if left open too long , it is a hard wax to start... I would melt it down either in a double boiler or in a microwave (be very careful here) and then let it sit until solid, usually a few hours .. and don't touch it or move it once poured. ;)

van185

Advanced Helper
Thanks, i will give teh double boiler method a try and let you know how it turns out. I hated to throw the whole can away. This was the first time that it had been opened.

van185

Advanced Helper
Thanks for the info about melting the wax. I used the double boiler method and melted the wax completly and then poured it back into the jar. I let it set overnight and took the whole piece out of the jar today and it looked like brand new. The texture feels fine. I'll post back as soon as I get a chance to use it but so far it looks great.

A

aalves

I'm not shure if I understood the method. :)
So we take out the wax of the jar. Put it on the stove inside a boiler that's inside of another boiler, wait for it to melt and then put it on the jar again?

van185

Advanced Helper
Take the wax out of the jar and put it in a double boiler pan. This is a pan over top of a pot of hot boiling water. Be careful because the top pot with the wax in it will get hot and the steam will burn you if your not careful. For the top pot it's best to use a glass of metal bowl. The top pot must be larger than the top of the bottom pan. Look double boiler up on the internet for a picture. The milting of the wax will only take a few minutes. After the wax completly melts pour it back into the jar. The method works great. I melted the wax down and let it set overnight and have used it to wax several vehicles with great results. The wax is just like new.

P

Pockets

Typically the reason that the wax gets like this is from shipping. We can control what the wax temp is here in the warehouse but once it leaves here it can get frozen or extremely hot unfortunately we can't control that =(

The melting gets everything back to the way it should be!

**Just as a caution the wax in the liquid state is flammable and will ignite if touched to open flame....be careful the spoon or stick you use to stir does not touch flame.

A

aalves

Typically the reason that the wax gets like this is from shipping. We can control what the wax temp is here in the warehouse but once it leaves here it can get frozen or extremely hot unfortunately we can't control that =(

The melting gets everything back to the way it should be!

**Just as a caution the wax in the liquid state is flammable and will ignite if touched to open flame....be careful the spoon or stick you use to stir does not touch flame.

Thanks Pockets! I have a induction stove so it's safer. :)