My elbow hurts, please help

D

Dudleydoright

I am new to detailing and I just bought a PC. I used it today using my Poorboys SSR2.5, PWC and SWC. I did a small car in 4 hours and now my elbow hurts. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong. Can anyone help?

sscully

Advanced Helper
You used SSR2.5 on a LC finish pad ? ( that would be a Lc blue or red pad )

Did you have a lot of defects to remove ?

Not too sure if there is an underlying issue, but if you were leaning on it to get correction, maybe back off a bit on the pressure and add 1 or 2 more passes to the process ?

On the other hand, you might just have a defect free finish now, and will only need to use PwC in the future, which should make it easier.

stevot22

Helper
It might be that you don't have the correct PC counter weight for the pad size that you are using. I think that the PC XP7424 comes with a counter weight for use with up to a 5" backing plate/pad setup. If you go larger you have to get a different counter weight to prevent excessive vibration of the polisher. Please see the first review of the Amazon product link below:
http://www.amazon.com/Counterweight-Porter-Cable-7424-Polisher/dp/B000BLKTA4

I found that changing hand positions on the polisher helped considerably the first time that I used it as it is a serious tool compared to my old polisher.

sscully

Advanced Helper
Could be the counter weight, what size backing plate do you have, and what size pad ?

The size ref to the Pc counter weight is for sanding estimates, it is actually a weight basis that would cause you to change.

From PC's web site.

PC Counter Weights.JPG

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
I have used both weights with 6.5 pads ... the vibration is perfectly normal for a PC with a random orbit... the Flex removes the vibration with direct drive.
I remember my hands shaking for hours after a detail with a PC ... I would do smaller sections at a time, take longer breaks and not push it for 4 hours as you will be sore.

ajb39oh

Advanced Helper
Is the inner part of the elbow or the outer? It could be tendinitis from the vibration of the machine and holding it.

D

Dudleydoright

It is the funny bone that is sore and still sore after 3 days.

sscully

Advanced Helper
If the Ulna nerve is still sort after 3 days, that might be a sign of something going on that the vibration from the PC irritated.

Even after doing a 38' RV I am not sore 3 days later.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
If the Ulna nerve is still sort after 3 days, that might be a sign of something going on that the vibration from the PC irritated.

Even after doing a 38' RV I am not sore 3 days later.

yes indeed, my back is another story .. that can be 3-7 days but usually a few hours with the hands and arms .. might be time for a check up ;)

sscully

Advanced Helper
yes indeed, my back is another story .. that can be 3-7 days but usually a few hours with the hands and arms .. might be time for a check up ;)

I used to have that problem, but I got one of the Precor Stretch Trainers. It is like a Yoga Microwave.
- This is a random google image of one.
020.JPG

I can get the results from ~ 30 min of yoga in about 10 min with it, it is great. I just focus on the upper and lower back and shoulders after a detail.
I make sure to really hit the hamstrings if I did dad's RV, there is so much scaffolding work on that, I really give my legs a work out.

ajb39oh

Advanced Helper
A chiropractor who works on extremities may be able to help you with that. The nerves from your neck may also be involved.