my dewalt is ready for retirement I believe..

johnnyb

Advanced Helper
My dw849 (type1, its an oldie) I believe is ready to be put aside and upgraded. I've lost the dial control of rpm, and lost my variable speed trigger control. I replaced trigger once before, I don't know if I got a dud, but it lasted me less than a week before it started to slightly act up.

Anywho nothing agaist it, worked great for over 5k hours. Just time for an upgrade with all the new advances with polishers, and wanted to know what everyone here liked, and why (if it's not too grade school show and tell :smt003)

I was thinking of the dwp849x as it's pretty reasonably priced, and online reviews were decent. I was leaning towards getting this dwp849x to upgrade the dw849, flex da to replace my griots (really happy with griots, just a tool geek), then a flex lightweight rotary to fill the middle gap of the rotary to random orbit. These purchases would have to be made in stages though, still building up the funds.

Would like to hear any imput from the rotary fans out there :smt035

P

Pockets

I'm pretty sure I was using the Flex lightweight at Autogeeks Detail Fest and that was the smoothest and quietest rotary I have ever picked up. We have a Makita in the shop here and the main drive gears had to be replaced after a few teeth chipped and it never ran the same.

I would suggest the Flex machines, the price is the only setback.

johnnyb

Advanced Helper
There's no doubt about it that I'll end up with a flex machine eventually, I think it might be till I save up more though. The lightweight one does look nice, but after reviewing I'm leaning towards the FLEX PE14-2-150. I like the slower rpm range, and oddly enjoy the weight of a heavier rotary. Watched a video where Mike Phillips was given serial #2 of the flex pe14, how awesome that is.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
a nice alternative on the cheaper side is the Hitachi rotary ... nice warranty and a smooth quiet machine compared to the Dewalt ... the Flex random is still the most useful all around tool I have seen in many years ..