Help! Natty Red... Staining??

S

stevedemo

Good Evening Gentlemen -

Unfortunately my first post here is being driven by a problem with one of Poorboy's products. I recently purchased a 2013 Subaru BRZ in Satin White Pearl (build date 04/13). I bought a bunch of new detailing products for the car through AutoGeek.net, including a new tin of Natty's Red Paste wax, after reading the plethora of favorable reviews for the products.

I got to work detailing the car today, first starting with a ONR Rinseless wash, then clay (using Meg's bars), then wax. After reading the brief description of the wax, I decided to wax the entire car first, wait a couple minutes for it to haze, then wipe off. Upon attempting to wipe the product off, I noticed that areas in which the wax was applied more heavily were staining the paint. In certain areas, such as in the trunk jambs, I have light pink spotting and hazing that cannot be buffed off.

I read a couple other accounts of this happening (with other products) and, upon Mike Phillip's previous suggestions, tried removing the staining with ScratchX 2.0. With entirely unnecessary amounts of rubbing, I was able to remove the lighter spots, but am still left with some heavier pink staining around the car.

I've attached some pictures below. Anybody have any ideas of how to remove this stuff, or why this happened in the first place*??

*Ambient temp today was roughly 95° in the garage. The car was parked in the garage, and had not moved for the past 24 hours.

Steve

pink2_zps0e4e11ab.jpg

pink_zpsf21e61f6.jpg

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
Welcome to our forum ,, you came to the right place ;) It seems some white paints (mostly with pearl) tend to act like Gel Coat (used on boats mainly) where if they are heated enough, they can absorb color ... but no worries it comes out .. an abrasive like scratch x is not the way to go, you will need a chemical non-abrasive polish like Professional Polish and it will come right out ... send Pockets a pm and he can take care of you :)

S

stevedemo

Thank you! Considering the car is a daily driver and I live in Phoenix, will this color "set" if it's exposed to prolonged periods of heat / sun?

ShinyRex

Advanced Helper
Steve,
I hope you find a quick solution. I have SWP paint on my 2011 WRX and I have never noticed any staining, although it has always been applied in a cooler ambient temp, usually 70ish and spread thin enough it looks clear going on. also it is usually on top of a coat of cured EX-P, but I don't know if that makes a difference. I should probably own Natty's white fo this very reason but I own blue and red.
Good Luck!
-Roy

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
Thank you! Considering the car is a daily driver and I live in Phoenix, will this color "set" if it's exposed to prolonged periods of heat / sun?

Steve,
I hope you find a quick solution. I have SWP paint on my 2011 WRX and I have never noticed any staining, although it has always been applied in a cooler ambient temp, usually 70ish and spread thin enough it looks clear going on. also it is usually on top of a coat of cured EX-P, but I don't know if that makes a difference. I should probably own Natty's white fo this very reason but I own blue and red.
Good Luck!
-Roy

No it's only on the surface , clear coats can not be penetrated by a wax normally Roy, but there are a few, and we've only heard of about 4 since it's release, that left a light tinge of color. All were Japanese and all were white. All were easily cleaned with Pro Polish ;) Normally I would not recommend using Natty's Red in the Arizona summer as it is too hot, lived there and know how hot it can get ... sealants (artificial wax) usually stands up better. The only way I would recommend a wax in a really hot climate like that, is if it was a garaged show car or if you have to park where where birds and sap are a constant problem.

S

stevedemo

I got ahold of Pockets and my Pro Polish should be in the mail! Thanks, guys... I'll update this thread once I've had a chance to try the Pro Polish.

I'm new to both Arizona and white cars (one a result of the other). Being as this is a new car, and the garage was 90-ish degrees, I didn't feel the need to apply a sealant. I went with a standard clay and wax. My cars do find the occasional bird dropping, as I'm forced to park under any shade I can find (at work).

Either way, I appreciate the response and quick shipment of a 4oz Pro Polish. Cheers.

S

stevedemo

Quick Follow Up:

Poorboys did send a bottle of their Professional Polish to be used to get rid of the staining. I washed the car 7 days after the staining and went at it with the Professional Polish. The Professional Polish was ineffective whether I used a terry cotton cloth, polishing pad, or microfiber towel. That said, the staining is going away on its own. It appears that the stains are disappearing with exposure to UV light.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
wax can not penetrate a clear coat, so I am thinking their must be a Gel Coat on your car and yes, exposure to the sun will "bleach" it out. It is very odd, as the handful of white cars that have had this happen all came clean with Professional Polish ..

ShinyRex

Advanced Helper
Stevedemo,
were you working the pro polish by hand or machine? I have given up working buy hand on all but a few areas as I never seem to get the desired results. FWIW I have never heard of a gel coat on a factory painted Subaru, only on aftermarket carbon fiber parts. To be on the safe side I guess I'll stick with white wax on my car but if you can ever get some one to give you a definitive answer on it I would love to know.

either way I am glad it is bleaching out
-Roy

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
Stevedemo,
FWIW I have never heard of a gel coat on a factory painted Subaru, only on aftermarket carbon fiber parts. To be on the safe side I guess I'll stick with white wax on my car but if you can ever get some one to give you a definitive answer on it I would love to know.

either way I am glad it is bleaching out
-Roy

I never heard of it either, but stranger things have happened ... it is surprising how many brand new cars have parts repainted before delivery to the dealer, and mostly noses and hoods ... these repairs are not even noted to the dealer.

Roy we have heard of a hand full of these cases and all have been imports, but considering how many white and other colored cars have used Natty's Red with no problems at all, you have to believe it's a weird fluke with something in common other than being white.

heck

Advanced Helper
I never heard of it either, but stranger things have happened ... it is surprising how many brand new cars have parts repainted before delivery to the dealer, and mostly noses and hoods ... these repairs are not even noted to the dealer.

Roy we have heard of a hand full of these cases and all have been imports, but considering how many white and other colored cars have used Natty's Red with no problems at all, you have to believe it's a weird fluke with something in common other than being white.

I can address Toyota Super White is single stage paint without a clear coat top layer.
So it may very well be other manufactures do the same with white colors?

Would this may explain the staining?

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
I can address Toyota Super White is single stage paint without a clear coat top layer.
So it may very well be other manufactures do the same with white colors?

Would this may explain the staining?

it very well could ...