Hello from Exit 55

ffpmme24

Helper
So new guy here from I4 and Micky Mouse land. I am looking for some new products for my cars. I currently use Meguires Gold Class.I like to keep up in a product line for the exterior care, I figure they are meant to work together. So keep them together.

Currently have two 2011 Subaru's one Outback and one Legacy. The Outback is Metallic Dark Grey and the Legacy is Silver. I have read some reviews and the EX-P sounds like right product for the cars since they are int he sun. But trying to think about the wax and the process of detailing the car.

I can wash, wax, and the a nice spray shrine, but its the other process that I have no idea about, polish, rubbing compound, buffer or porter cable. SO looking for a step by step. Do A, then B then C and enjoy!

Thanks!

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
Welcome to the forum and 95 and Congress exit ..lol

First are you working by hand or machine ... what kind of machine if you are using machine

ffpmme24

Helper
Hello,, Sorry I thought I replied to this, but it looks like I did not. I am new to the boards. It is mostly by hand. But I do have a goodwill surplus orbital buffer.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
Hello,, Sorry I thought I replied to this, but it looks like I did not. I am new to the boards. It is mostly by hand. But I do have a goodwill surplus orbital buffer.

ok by hand I would follow these steps

Super Slick & Suds wash (decontamination wash if you live or work near industrial fallout or railroad tracks)
clay
Polish w/ Carnauba blue
Black Hole Glaze(optional)
EX-P x 2

ffpmme24

Helper
ok by hand I would follow these steps

Super Slick & Suds wash (decontamination wash if you live or work near industrial fallout or railroad tracks)
clay
Polish w/ Carnauba blue
Black Hole Glaze(optional)
EX-P x 2

If I took out the black hole. I would use the ex-p but would I use blue wax after the ex-p? Maybe instead of the polish, or do you use them all together?

Also, I have used rubbing compound to help take out some scrathes. Where in that order would I do that? Do I need to use it? Is it a all over thing like wax or just where needed?

ShinyRex

Advanced Helper
EX-P is a sealant and is a LSP (Last Step Product) so no matter how you go about the car in the previous stages EX-P will always be last as it has no cut or cleaning ability. There is an order of precedence here that is important to remember that you want to be the least aggressive as possible.

So whole car in Steps:
1. Wash
2. Clay

Then take a look at your paint and evaluate it. You can tackle those scratches now but you only need to use a compound on those areas then you can polish the whole car. This is a simple look at it but there are a lot of variables left out, like the full condition of the car's paint, what your over all goal is and expectation management. If you are working by hand then the polish in the Carnauba blue should be able to remove any micro marring from the compound but keep in mind it is difficult to remove scratches by hand. You can damage you paint by hand when you use the compound so make sure you use foam applicators and apply even pressure and start with a polishing pad. I made the mistake early on of trying to buff out a scratch on my brand new car and I was told I couldn't hurt the car by hand. So I used a micro fiber towel and a rubbing compound and went to town, I didn't go through the clear but I permanently damaged it and got a very painful lesson early on. Foam pads allow you to provide even pressure and if you start with a polishing pad it will not be that aggressive.

3. Spot correct with compound

Whole Car:
4. Polish w/Carnauba
5. EX-Px2

I hope this helps