First time with PB

A

Aussie Driver

Today I tried out some of my new Poorboy's products on my wife's Subaru (well the hood anyway).

Process;

Wash the hood with dishwashing detergent to remove all traces of wax etc
Clay the hood and then re-wash,

Then one coat of each of the following,
SSR 2.5 applied with an orbital polisher and Wolfgang Orange light cutting pad,
SSR 1 applied with the orbital and Wolfgang White polishing pad,
EX-P applied with the orbital and Wolfgang Grey finishing pad.

I'm really impressed with the way that the hood turned out. The paint felt as smooth as glass and you can see the shine here.

RIMG00112977920060910212342.JPG

My only question though concerns the hologram around the lights in the next pic. Is this normal or can I get it cleared up some more with a second coat of the SSR1??

RIMG00072977720060910212342.JPG

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
looks nice, we need a better shot to see what you are seing ...you might still have swirls, which would need to be removed with another pass or two of the SSR2.5 before moving on to the SSR1...
After using SSR2.5 with a cutting pad, it's recommended that you follow with a pass or two with a polishing pad and then use a finishing pad with the SSR1

A

Aussie Driver

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I couldn't get a closer shot of the lights reflection as I had to run them from the power at the opposite end of the garage. Me thinks that it's time to buy another power board...

There are only a couple of marks in the paint after that experiment. The swirling was quite bad but now the only marks really visible are from the scratches that the SSR2.5 has greatly reduced.

I'll try your suggestion of a second pass with the SSR2.5 using a polishing pad, and then the SSR1 with a finishing pad before I seal the paint.

One unexpected result of my Poorboy's experiment is that I now have a detailing job. One of my wife's co-workers has a Subaru which is the same color. Once this woman saw my wife's car she asked who did it and before I knew it my wife had booked my first paying detailing job!!

I'll do a full post of how that goes next week.

Thanks
Steve