Engine bay.... What do I use?

ShawnF350

Advanced Helper
Could you suggest what products to use? Maybe give a few pointers on what to do.
I forgot to ask at PB weekend.
I'm going to try a engine detail next weekend.
I have a vx5000 steamer I can use too.

Any hints on how to make that Onion Sauce? Lol

johnnyb

Advanced Helper
The process I've been using since '06.

Since I'm not yet using exclusively poorboys products (I will be soon as finally running low of other products! :smt035) someone will have to chime in on the best available PB cleaner, and post dressing.

-Have engine warm, not hot.
-Cover delicate electronics.
-Lightly wet down areas to be cleaned
-Degrease
-Rinse (blow dry optional)
-Start and run to prevent water drying in areas.
-Finish with a water based (ideally) dressing to prevent rubber and plastics from drying out.

1275853_1667237313506537_2554862489668765409_o.jpg

The plastics were neglected too bad to clean up perfectly on this engine, and were so dry I told the client we had to apply the dressing twice.

I know you probably just needed to know what PB's products to use, which was about the only thing I didn't answer Shawn haha. Wanted to help anyone on the process till someone can chime in with those answers.

ShawnF350

Advanced Helper
Thanks Johnny, I'm going to only wet what's really bad.
Wanna try my steamer too.
I'm guessing bold and bright with a foam brush.

johnnyb

Advanced Helper
Let me know how you like that steamer, I've wanted to get one for a while.

I'm trying to slowly pick up clients that appreciate nice equipment, and not just whoever is the cheapest.

johnnyb

Advanced Helper
Good to know for when I get some BnB!

Would I stick with my same cleaning routine with bnb?- apply bnb, scrub, rinse, then reapply for final dressing? (and apc for heavy cleanings)

Always looking for new ideas and methods :smt023

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
Good to know for when I get some BnB!

Would I stick with my same cleaning routine with bnb?- apply bnb, scrub, rinse, then reapply for final dressing? (and apc for heavy cleanings)

Always looking for new ideas and methods :smt023

Yes, that is a good method .. and every time you stay at a hotel and they offer a free shower cap, take it and use it over electronics ;)