Does my logic make sense?

U

upbull340

Have a new Lexus IS350 / Black. When I got it I polished it, followed up with 2 coats of EX and 24 hours later Natty's Blue. Love the look.

Now I'm washing each week followed by Spray and Gloss.

Every 4 to 6 weeks my thought is to add another layer of Natty's Blue. Does this make sense?

Also, when it comes time to get the car ready for winter do I start the process over with Polish, EX and then Natty's blue? Wife thinks I should be able to just put 2 coats of EX on without polish. I disagree.

Any thoughts? Thanks

BigLeegr

Token Brute and Chief Bottle Washer
Staff member
You dare to question your wife??? :shock:

Well, if you survive long enough to prep the car for winter I would say it will depend on the condition of the paint. Chances are good that by fall you will have at least a bit of marring, so a polishing will help with the looks.
However, there is also the school of thought that thinks the main reason for winter prep is to layer as much as possible, so you shouldn't get rid of any layers you already have built up.
The choice is up to you!

Do you have a garage? If so, you can continue layering through the winter as well, so it wouldn't be as much of an issue.

The Natty's every month or so sounds good. I would probably alternate with PwC so that you get some polishing in (unless you are able to keep your car marring free through out the summer).

I usually use a spray wax after a wash during the winter months. Hey! What do you know? PB's sells one! :p
QW+ has cleaners, though, so you won't likely be building up layers when using this.

Hope this helps!

U

upbull340

BigLeegr said:
You dare to question your wife??? :shock:

Maybe the plan changes and I prep earlier than I was thinking so I can layer before winter. Yes my car is in a garage at home and at work. I've never owned black before but after using the PB products I love how it looks. I can't remember ever washing my previous cars once a week but I look forward to it now.

You've given me some things to think about. Thanks.

durning the winter I like to use sealant only ....

My thinking is with wax the sand COULD stick to it.. try droping a candle in a sand box.. yep you get some sand sticking to it... so with sealants you shouldn't get get as much sticking..

F

Focusedonsound

I beleive I read a post on another forum (not sure when) someone had put something like 10 coats of EX or EX-P on their car!

I think they actually took pictures of the progression and after 8 coats it seemed to have no visual effect. Thats not to say that there was no effect to the protection quality.

F

FreeBIZZ

I think part of the original question was about applying more EX or EX-P sealant after all the Natty's. Will this work, or do we need to polish again?

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
FreeBIZZ said:
I think part of the original question was about applying more EX or EX-P sealant after all the Natty's. Will this work, or do we need to polish again?

no you will need to do at least a light polish as sealants should be next to the finish not above wax