Disaster averted

mcate

Advanced Helper
This isn't exactly bragging, but a story that I felt like telling now that my heart has resumed normal beating. Last Friday, for some completely idiotic reason, I decided to drive my black Mustang to work. (Which I never do) I had the canopy that I use at car shows in my trunk, & I decided to remove it. As I was carrying it around the corner to find a place to put it, I "thought" I felt it bump the car. I looked at it in my garage & didn't see anything. After I got to work I went out to take another look, & there it was: about a 2 1/2" long scratch. Suicidal thoughts ensued. The right half of the scratch wasn't too bad, easily rubbed out I thought. But the left inch or so of it was fairly deep, easy to feel with my thumbnail. I was distraught. The wife said I was nuts because it was hardly visible. Women. Anyway, I spent the past couple of days looking at it & wondering whether I could rub it out, or if I was going to have to take it to a shop. This afternoon, I decided to see what I could do. I grabbed my bottle of SSR3 & started rubbing. The right part went away pretty quickly. But the deeper part on the left, as I suspected, took some work. After alternating between hand-rubbing & hitting it with my PC & an orange pad, I started making progress. My hope was that it was only in the clear & not all the way through to the paint. I worked on it until it was almost invisible, & I started to see a slight bit of black on the pad. Not daring to go any deeper, I did a quick polish with SSR1 & threw a coat of EX-P over the area. It looks a LOT better. I didn't take any before pics, & there really isn't any reason to take any after ones. A little elbow grease & some good quality products saved the day!

G

Gus-Gus

UGH! Glad everything worked out Mcate... I have a similar experience that just happened to me.. I was getting out of my car at work (freshly detailed at the weekend) and i had my laptop bag in my right hand as i was getting out... The shoulder strap somehow got itself caught on the steering wheel as i was getting out.. so i sort of stumbled back a bit and the button on the back of my pants left a nice 3 inch scratch on the front part of the back door.. i have not had the chance to tackle it yet but i cant help but stare at it every chance i walk passed... Hopefully i will have the same luck you do!

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
we all have these stories unfortunately ... glad to see yours worked out Mike ..you may want to put a little clear on the spot should it become visible ...
now my bumper is a mess .. sometimes big rocks are bigger than big trucks :( nuf said :(

mcate

Advanced Helper
we all have these stories unfortunately ... glad to see yours worked out Mike ..you may want to put a little clear on the spot should it become visible ...
now my bumper is a mess .. sometimes big rocks are bigger than big trucks :( nuf said :(

Can they do that, shoot a little clear over a spot?

P

Pockets

Decided to try and turn around a traffic barrel on the side of the road and took it too tight hello lots of side scratches lol a FML moment indeed

sscully

Advanced Helper
Can they do that, shoot a little clear over a spot?

The other option would be to use a perm paint coating on that panel. This removes longevity of any product applied to it after the fact ( and might look different when something like BH or Nattys is applied to the panel vs. the next panel ).

You will want to get it done sooner rather than later, else that spot could lead to clear coat failure on the panel down the road.

mcate

Advanced Helper
I was thinking more of you touching up and polishing out ;) someone really good with airbrushing might be able to blend a small area

Oh, I see. Once I polished it out it looks pretty good. Whats left of the scratch is barely visible, & I got the shine back nicely. I'll just be very careful in future details on the car in that spot, & make sure not to use anything abrasive there.

mcate

Advanced Helper
The other option would be to use a perm paint coating on that panel. This removes longevity of any product applied to it after the fact ( and might look different when something like BH or Nattys is applied to the panel vs. the next panel ).

You will want to get it done sooner rather than later, else that spot could lead to clear coat failure on the panel down the road.

I'm going to take it in & check that out. Thanx!

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
definitely don't want the base coat exposed even with a sealant or wax ...

came back to edit .. but ....

if you are going to trade this one in as fast as the last one..then forget about it ;)

mcate

Advanced Helper
definitely don't want the base coat exposed even with a sealant or wax ...

came back to edit .. but ....

if you are going to trade this one in as fast as the last one..then forget about it ;)

No, Steve, this one is my keeper! I've had it 3 years, & will probably have it a long while.

NINaudio

Advanced Helper

You should see my hood and front bumper! Lowered car = more rocks hitting my hood. Drove up to Mass. with my girlfriend a few weeks back to visit her family and when we got there I pulled out the spray and wipe. When I was done she asked if I forgot to clean the hood. :-( Next time I polish the car I'm trying out the dr. color chip I ordered.

G

Gus-Gus

UGH! Glad everything worked out Mcate... I have a similar experience that just happened to me.. I was getting out of my car at work (freshly detailed at the weekend) and i had my laptop bag in my right hand as i was getting out... The shoulder strap somehow got itself caught on the steering wheel as i was getting out.. so i sort of stumbled back a bit and the button on the back of my pants left a nice 3 inch scratch on the front part of the back door.. i have not had the chance to tackle it yet but i cant help but stare at it every chance i walk passed... Hopefully i will have the same luck you do!

I pulled out the Pro Polish 2 and a terry cloth towel.. 5 seconds of rubbing and my scratch is now gone.. god i love this stuff :)