Are all black paints this much of a pain in the butt?

W

wallywax

When ever it rains it etches the paint and gets water spots all over. It gets new scratches every single day. 2 bucket method and proper drying it still gets swirls. PwC blue on speed 3 on a red VC pad causes slight marying and halograms in the paint. I need to step it back to speed 1 to achieve a good finish. I detailed a lot of black vehicles but it seems my black mustang has the most finicky paint I ever worked on. If i freshly wash her and drive down the block she gets so dusty and dirty. Is this normal of does Ford just have really bad blacks on there older cars? I have detailed some BMW's and Audi's that had some finicky black but my Stang is such a pain in the butt!! lol

heck

Advanced Helper
Black is a love/hate relationship for me.

The work to keep it up, it's hard to have the time everyday to maintain black car. Yes I said "everyday".

But no color looks as good when black is done right!

W

wallywax

I think it bothers me so much because I am OCD and a detailer so it drives me insane when the car is not in show car condition. Everyone says the car looks great but to me I notice every single little imperfection.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
we have a member that lives in NJ but hasn't been around in a while, well anyhow ..he has a Black Mustang that does the same thing ..didn't believe it until I worked on it myself ... only use finishing pads for all steps and it may help ... otherwise you may need to trade it in for white :D

W

wallywax

I absolutely miss my white mustang! I had a 1990 5.0 with under 40k miles. Sadly got hit and totaled at a stop sign :(

mcate

Advanced Helper
My old black T-Bird SC, covered in Virginia pollen back when I lived there. For 2 or 3 weeks in April it was utterly useless to try to keep it clean!

Dsc02099.jpg

J

jrbikernj

i have a few black vehicles in my garage,i always buy them black and yes when they are clean they look great but they do show dirty real quick...when i lived in jersey it was easy to keep clean but now im in poconos pa in woods it seems almost not possible ,i just detailed my jeep and it has so many spots in paint and i can not get them out for the life of me(pissing me off) i did following and still there...washed,clay bar,compounded (seemed to do more damage then good),glazed and then waxed...but still shows signs of tree sap and water stains....so i fell your pain but im going to try it all again using poorboy products and will see......... everyone thinks im crzy because they see jeep and say it is spotless...not to me...

G

groebuck

cadillac's plum metallic is the new black lol...I saw it the other day and man....This my second black car - raven black and yeah it is a daily maint. I am fast running out of my gallon of spary and wipe.

I have my 1st black car. It gets dirty every time I look at it. Love/hate for sure. I am going to detail a year old well maintained Black Jeep. Car has very light swirls. Looking for Poorboys pad and polish input. Have a DA ( Porter Cable) and rotary( Makita) but I am thinking I won't need the rotary for light swirls. Thanks. Winter go away so we can •D•E•T•A•I•lL• !!!!!!!
dlm ny country

P

Pockets

I have my 1st black car. It gets dirty every time I look at it. Love/hate for sure. I am going to detail a year old well maintained Black Jeep. Car has very light swirls. Looking for Poorboys pad and polish input. Have a DA ( Porter Cable) and rotary( Makita) but I am thinking I won't need the rotary for light swirls. Thanks. Winter go away so we can •D•E•T•A•I•lL• !!!!!!!
dlm ny country

Do you happen to have a picture of what you mean by "very light"

I would suggest Professional Polish and the least aggressive pad that does the job to your liking

Well I did and inventory of my supplies and I have your Professional Polish and SSR 2.5 plus an PwS. Need some white, black and red pads for the season. No pix at this time. I was wondering if I could use the PwS with Black hole on top?
dlm ny country

P

Pockets

Polish w/ Sealant would be a great choice to try and remove them. Topped with BH, like you said, will give you a great look. Don't forget to put a layer of protection on top like Natty's Blue.

If you need to step up the cut, Pro Polish should do it with the right combination of pad. Top with BH and NB like before

jsf721

Helper
If you have the time, over and over and over and over and over ............

Black is beautiful when done but it needs 179% more time! care and attention. Was I happy trading my black car for a pearl white. Hell yeah. I found about 10 hours a month of free time. Less washing , polishing and and micro marring did not slap me in the eyes. With black I polished very frequently just to fix this and that.

If you have the time... there is nothing like Black ;)