Applying/Removing PWC Blue and EX/EX-P

F

FreeBIZZ

Hi All,

I plan to detail a new VW GTI this weekend. Since it is brand new, it does not have any major defects in the paint. I do see some very light swirls in certain lighting conditions, though.

My plan is as follows and I need some suggestions about applying and removing these products. I have a PC.

WASH

CLAY

PWC Blue
1-What LC pad----I am thinking a white polishing pad
2-Will this hide or take out the lite swirls, or should I use SSR1 first, and if I use SSR1, will this white pad be good enough?
3-How long to leave PWC on, and how well does it come off with a MF or Terry bonnet, or do you use MF by hand?

EX-P
1-What pad-I'm thinking a white polishing pad, but I could go to a black finishing>??
2-Any tips on applying?--
3-How long do you leave on and do you do the entire car at one time?
4-Removal----do you use a PC, and if so, is a MF or Terry bonnet the best? How easy is it to remove?
5-Any other tips?

Next steps:

1-I read somewhere in doing a search here that itr might be good to apply a couple layers of EX-P, then go to a single of EX to add some carnauba, then finally top with Natty's Bl. What do you think?

2-Should I just skip the EX-P and go right to EX? Is EX easy on/off and the same apply/remove method as EX-P?

awd330

Advanced Helper
After washing and claying, see how the finish looks. If it is free of swirls and micromarring, then go directly to PWC Blue. If there is light marring, one or two passes with SSR1 and a polishing pad at speed 5 may be needed before PWC Blue. Note: Do not prime your pad with water or QD sprays. Just prime with product (SSR1 or PWC Blue).

A polishing pad (LC's is white) would generally be the correct pad to use with PWC Blue. Speed 4.5 works well. I like to apply to the whole car and then wipe off by hand with plush microfiber towels.

For EX-P, my choice would be a very soft finishing pad like the LC blue model. The black model will also work though it isn't as soft as the blue. This product needs to be primed with water. Just a couple mists should be enough to dampen the pad. Use a lower speed like 2-3 since this product does not need to be "worked" or "broken down". Apply to the whole car, wait an additional 20-30 minutes or more, then wipe off by hand with microfiber towels. I like to use silky feeling MF towels for this. Two coats one day apart would be a good process.

Following with EX seems like a wasted step to me. If you want the look of a carnauba topper, then just go with Natty's Blue.

EX and EX-P are equally easy to apply and remove. The choice of products is subjective. I happen to like using EX-P on light colors and metallics and EX on dark colors and solids. For a dark metallics, I'll usually go with EX-P if the finish is in good condition. If more hiding ability is needed, go with a carnauba product.

F

FreeBIZZ

awd330 said:
After washing and claying, see how the finish looks. If it is free of swirls and micromarring, then go directly to PWC Blue. If there is light marring, one or two passes with SSR1 and a polishing pad at speed 5 may be needed before PWC Blue. Note: Do not prime your pad with water or QD sprays. Just prime with product (SSR1 or PWC Blue).

A polishing pad (LC's is white) would generally be the correct pad to use with PWC Blue. Speed 4.5 works well. I like to apply to the whole car and then wipe off by hand with plush microfiber towels.

For EX-P, my choice would be a very soft finishing pad like the LC blue model. The black model will also work though it isn't as soft as the blue. This product needs to be primed with water. Just a couple mists should be enough to dampen the pad. Use a lower speed like 2-3 since this product does not need to be "worked" or "broken down". Apply to the whole car, wait an additional 20-30 minutes or more, then wipe off by hand with microfiber towels. I like to use silky feeling MF towels for this. Two coats one day apart would be a good process.

Following with EX seems like a wasted step to me. If you want the look of a carnauba topper, then just go with Natty's Blue.

EX and EX-P are equally easy to apply and remove. The choice of products is subjective. I happen to like using EX-P on light colors and metallics and EX on dark colors and solids. For a dark metallics, I'll usually go with EX-P if the finish is in good condition. If more hiding ability is needed, go with a carnauba product.

AWD---Thanks for taking the time to explain things. Seems like a good way to go. I do have a blue LC pad, so I am all set with equip. and prod.