Any experience painting center of leather seats?

W

wallywax

I am bored with the interior of my mustang and want to paint the center of my leather seats to match my center console which is grey. Any advice?

2011-06-04171153.jpg

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
I'm not sure you can do it Walter .. it's not like you can just put paint over leather, and it's not really leather anymore it's a coated fabric/leather pleather??

if you are really bored with the car look for a set of used reccaros

W

wallywax

I was also thinking some recaros or 03-04 Cobra seats. btw the Interior is detailed with none other than Natural Look :). Natural look on leather,dash everything except windows.

heck

Advanced Helper
I had a student tried everything know to man, ending up sending them out to the trim shop to have the panels replaced.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
They could be sprayed with dye. I've had it done many times on cars that I've bought and sold.

I'd like to see one of them a few months or years later .. I really don't think it will last on today's coated leathers .. in the old days, absolutely as you were really dealing with a hide.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
not sure I'd compare materials in boats to that of a car ... still don't think it will last

heck

Advanced Helper
Steve the car we tried was a Mustang bright yellow, No success. Had to send to trim shop and have the inner panels replaced with the matching yellow of the exterior. Door panels same result, trim shop.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
I have painted plastic and vinyl interior parts in the past with mixed results. A lot of it came down to prep and the material itself ..thank god for junkyards :)