2nd attempt - wife's car - 04 XC-90 (beware dial up)

Redwings97

Advanced Helper
Here are photos of my wife’s car. This is my second attempt with Poorboys. These products make the job real easy. I will sooner than later invest in a PC, but right now I am applying by hand. The process was as follows:

Wash SS&S
2 coats of PWC blue
2 coats of EX-P
2 coats of NB

I know the wheel wells need to be attended to, but I was particularly focused on the paint. When I have more time, I will hit the rest of the car.

The first 4 pictures are only with 2 coats of EX-P- prior to NB

smoker6.jpg

smoker7.jpg

smoker8.jpg

smoker9.jpg

These next 5 photos are with the 2 coats of NB. I waited 1 week before applying NB on top of EX-P

smoker1.jpg

smoker2.jpg

smoker3.jpg

smoker4.jpg

smoker5.jpg

These products ROCK!!

Thanks Steve!!

Trent

B

brendans225

wow, nice reflections u getting there mate :D ..........your 1st and 3rd last shots are crazy 8)

L

littlemissGTO

Looking great. The machine will make life so much easier.

Rollingrock

Advanced Helper
Very nice work.

Was this all done by hand or did you use a DA?

If by DA, I would like to know what pads you used.

Cheers

RollingRock

Redwings97

Advanced Helper
Rolling

What is a DA? Are you talking PC or flex?

Anyway, I did this all by hand.

I did 2 coats of pwc blue using DMT.
I did the 2 coats of EXP using a MF Sponge applicator slightly dampened with water. I waited a day between coats.
I finished with 2 coats of NB, waited a week after EXP, using MF sponge applicators again, slightly dampened with water

I am hoping Santa will bring me a PC or Flex for Xmas. I have a 95 Mark viii that really needs the complete PB treatment. plus it will be a great car to practice on before I use it on my newer cars.

Rollingrock

Advanced Helper
Redwings97 said:
Rolling

What is a DA? Are you talking PC or flex?

Anyway, I did this all by hand.

I did 2 coats of pwc blue using DMT.
I did the 2 coats of EXP using a MF Sponge applicator slightly dampened with water. I waited a day between coats.
I finished with 2 coats of NB, waited a week after EXP, using MF sponge applicators again, slightly dampened with water

I am hoping Santa will bring me a PC or Flex for Xmas. I have a 95 Mark viii that really needs the complete PB treatment. plus it will be a great car to practice on before I use it on my newer cars.

Redwing97

Yes, PC, DA are often used to describe a PC (Porter Cable, DA) DA=Dual Action.

A PC/DA or Flex would be a great tool to have in your arsenal. I don't have the confidence to work a high speed yet b/c in the wrong hands you can do some damage to dual stage paint. I always try the least aggressive approach (subjective statement) when working on paints and defects as well as marring. I have learned a lot about pad choices and product combos over the past few years and until recetnly I found out i was using a very aggressive technique and pad combo so I had to change up my methods a little.

Doing it by hand is tough, I did it for many years and I still always apply my LSP by hand but use a DA for everything else. I would love to get some "hands on" with a Flex or HS. My local body shop has offered me a few doors to experiment on when I get the chance.

Car looks, great...

Cheers

Redwings97

Advanced Helper
Rollling

I have seen that F250 of yours - that looks awesome.

Never thought about hitting up local body shop for scrap panels to use as practice.

I have a PC on my Xmas list :D

Thanks