Thread: Moldy Clay

Moldy Clay

So I thought I would share my recent experience. I have never had a piece of clay get moldy before but when I checked my clay container yesterday the last piece I used was growing a little colony. Thankfully eventhough I keep all my clay in my PB clay container I put each piece in it's own plastic baggy usually sprayed with a little QD before they go away into storage. The only thing I can think of is that the last thing I clayed had some kind of organic fallout on it.

Anyone ever had this happn? Any tips on ensuring it doesn't happen again? I've been claying for about 3 years and this is the first time I've seen this so I am hoping it is kind of rare. I also have "Brand X's" clay cleaner/extender which seems to be alcohol based, I wonder if I had used that if it would have killed anything off?

-Roy

I've been claying for about 12 years (with 5 different brands/types of clay), and I have never seen any mold after storing used pieces of clay. Like you, I give each piece a couple spritzes of Spray and Wipe and then store each in a separate baggie.

I tossed that piece and I am going to hope it was just a fluke. Unless it was some crazy conspiracy for the "Industry" to get me to buy more clay j/k...well only if "they" are listening

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyRex View Post
    I tossed that piece and I am going to hope it was just a fluke. Unless it was some crazy conspiracy for the "Industry" to get me to buy more clay j/k...well only if "they" are listening
    yes, it was planted in your clay ... and someone must be a witness to this

I have clay that is at least 5 years old that I pull a piece off and use with no problems .. if it was stored somewhere too hot? I really don't know, that would be a question for the clay mfg.
    life is short ...do it while you can

www.poorboysworld.com = store
    561-409-3710

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    yes, it was planted in your clay ... and someone must be a witness to this

I have clay that is at least 5 years old that I pull a piece off and use with no problems .. if it was stored somewhere too hot? I really don't know, that would be a question for the clay mfg.
    Definitely not heat related. It was stored in the coldest room in the house about 55-60 deg. In retrospect I had a piece that I was using when I shined my grill up so I am thinking it might have had some kind of organic compound in it. I marked the baggy so I wouldn't use it on anyhting else but when I noticed the mold I failed to check the baggy and just tossed it. So I am assuming that is what it was and I am not going to worry about it all my other clay is good to go.