Would these products work best for a black car?

X

xristos

I have a 2004 Acura TL with Nighthawk Black Pearl paint. At night or in certain sunlight, you can see blue metallic flakes which seems to make the car dark blue in certain angles. The paint has minor swirls & light scratches from washing the car.

I enjoy detailing my car & would like to use the right products & steps with Poorboy products. Since this is my first time trying this brand, I would like to know what products & suggestions would benefit my task at hand.

I have a Porter Cable Orbital Polisher with 7.5" Lake Country (VC) Variable Contact Polisher Pads in the following color's: white, black & blue. I can also get the green pad, which is a little bit more aggressive than the white pad, or the orange pad that has some cutting ablitiy.

So after washing & claying the car, these are the Poorboy products I plan to use in this order:

1) SUPER SWIRL REMOVER - SSR1
- apply w/ orange, green or white pad? :?:

2) POLISH W/ CARNUBA BLUE or PROFESSIONAL POLISH :?:
- apply w/ black or white pad? :?:

3) EX SEALANT or EX-P SEALANT :?:
- apply w/ black pad
- wait about 30 minutes before removing product & let sealant cure for 24 hrs. before applying another coat of sealant or topping off with wax. :?:

4) NATTY"S PASTE WAX - BLUE
- apply w/ blue pad
- any wait time before removing wax? :?:

So which product or pad is better to use?

Any suggestions on my step's & procedure's would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

BigLeegr

Token Brute and Chief Bottle Washer
Staff member
I like the orange pad! :D
But if you have very faint marring, you shouldn't need it.
Do you have SSR2? I remember I once polished out my winter marring using SSR2 and a white pad (Edge).
Without knowing how bad your paint is, it's pretty hard to say just what will work. If you have only the SSR1 and Pro Polish, you might try the PP and the blue pad. (Or the green if you decide to expand.) If it's very light marring, SSR1 and the white may be fine.
(I'm not quite sure on the types of cut on the LC pads-I have only the orange one. My reference is Edge pads, and the green is light cut, the blue is soft polish, white is super soft polish. Black is Heavy cut, but I'm guessing in the LC black is a soft/super soft polish type pad. I'll let you determine the correlations.)

Short answer-try different combos on a small area and see what works best. Then continue with that combo for the rest of the car.

If you are going to use EX or EX-P, I'd use the PP instead of the PwC. If you are going from polishing to wax, skipping the sealant, then I'd go PwC and Natty's. Also, I apply Natty's by hand. Unless I was trying to do a spit-shining or had trouble getting a thin coat, I don't see the benefit of machine application. Maybe you'll get a better result, though. Anyway, use the softest pad you have for this if you decide to.

Hope this helps! 8)

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
xristos said:
I have a 2004 Acura TL with Nighthawk Black Pearl paint. At night or in certain sunlight, you can see blue metallic flakes which seems to make the car dark blue in certain angles. The paint has minor swirls & light scratches from washing the car.

I enjoy detailing my car & would like to use the right products & steps with Poorboy products. Since this is my first time trying this brand, I would like to know what products & suggestions would benefit my task at hand.

I have a Porter Cable Orbital Polisher with 7.5" Lake Country (VC) Variable Contact Polisher Pads in the following color's: white, black & blue. I can also get the green pad, which is a little bit more aggressive than the white pad, or the orange pad that has some cutting ablitiy.

So after washing & claying the car, these are the Poorboy products I plan to use in this order:

1) SUPER SWIRL REMOVER - SSR1
- apply w/ orange, green or white pad? :?:

Use only the white, blue or black pads with SSR1

2) POLISH W/ CARNUBA BLUE or PROFESSIONAL POLISH :?:
- apply w/ black or white pad? :?:

Either polish can be used with the white pad, Pro Polish can be used with the orange pad if needed, and PwC can be used with the black/ or blue pad as a glaze or final LSP

3) EX SEALANT or EX-P SEALANT :?:
- apply w/ black pad
- wait about 30 minutes before removing product & let sealant cure for 24 hrs. before applying another coat of sealant or topping off with wax. :?:

Apply with the black or blue pad at low speed (2), let it sit 30-60 minutes depending on how hot the temperature is, repeat a second coat immediately, let it sit 30-60 minutes or longer. Wait 24-36 hours and repeat one more coat by hand, not machine, then wait another 24-36 hours and top with Natty's blue

4) NATTY"S PASTE WAX - BLUE
- apply w/ blue pad
- any wait time before removing wax? :?:

Do either half or a whole car and then remove..make sure it comes to a haze and test with a finger. If it wipes of clean and easy with one finger, then remove, if it drags a bit, wait longer..