Window cleaning.

rabbi

Anyone use steel wool to clean/polish the windshield? I've heard about this many years ago but have never tried it.

johnnyb

Advanced Helper
If a crappy masker was doing the prep when I did autobody and had overspray on glass, I always stuck with razorblades. (just keep blade clean, wipe after each pass onto a damp rag).

Enough about me, lets get to the thread. I've used fine grade steel wool to clean window glass, do not use on mirror glass. As with any new adventure, test spots first :D

on a side note, fine grade steel wool works great with chrome. (test small section, just to make sure, like anything)

After the glass is all contaminate free, I like to hit it up with some PP.

I have used #0000 Steel Wool and it did work.
At the Detailing Weekend this June the Sprinklers at the Hotel did a job on all the glass with water/mineral spots.

I used the Pro Polish and it cleaned the glass with no problem at all.
Glass cleaner did not do anything.

rabbi

I've used PP before(a long time ago) on glass(windshield) and was satisfied with the job it did but I was just curious about the steel wool.

joed1234

Helper
So that old saying we all grew up with, "Hasn't scratched yet", is history. Anyone else remember that can's label with the baby chick just hatched, cracked egg and all?

BigLeegr

Token Brute and Chief Bottle Washer
Staff member
So that old saying we all grew up with, "Hasn't scratched yet", is history. Anyone else remember that can's label with the baby chick just hatched, cracked egg and all?
I have a few of those labeled cans. (Powder cleanser and cleaning powder are not the same stuff.) I contacted the company years ago about why they don't list windshields anymore and their reply was that it would still be suitable for older cars but there are too many "plastic" and specialty coated glass surfaces now to still suggest it.