Which pads to buy?

J

james861

I just purchased a PC7424XP and I need to see what pads I should buy? I have a black Mitsubishi Eclipse that has some spider webbing but not much at all. I don't think I need anything with a lot of cutting force. I was thinking white, black and red pads to start. I'm use PB Professional polish, black hole, and EXP. Also should I buy a different backing plate for the buffer? I'm looking for any help that can be given. I've never used a buffer and I'm very excited to try one finally. thanks

heck

Advanced Helper
5" backing plate, 5.5 pads 2 orange, 2 green, 2 white, 2 black.
Wax applied by hand & removed with microfiber towels.
Orange pad & green pads will give you the flexibilty of cutting more than white pads.
Black with apply sealer/glaze.
If your set on applying wax with DA you will need an red pad.
I hope this helps. YMMV

ShinyRex

Advanced Helper
Definitely 5.5" pads on a 5" backing plate as Heck said. Personally I like the flat low profile pads from LC. Hydrotechs are also a great option and have less colors to fuss with but I like having Red and Black pads around too (no cut) so if you want to stick to one product line LC flat pads are a great way to go.

You will get a lot of mileage out of the white pads but without knowing how your paint will react to them it is good to have options. Depending how strapped you are for cash you can skimp and go with one black and one red as your paint will already be clean and polished but you may want more than two of your work horse pads as you will be cleaning them often. just my .02

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
I prefer 6.5 pads for the PC but you will need a 6" backing plate .. the XP should have come with a 6" counter weight, if it doesn't have it then it might be a good idea to get the counter weight or it might vibrate a bit more, but not much.
I prefer the VC (variable contact) pads as there are few cars with all flat panels .. I like the VC CCS for polishing and the VC smooth for final polishes, glazes, sealants and liquid waxes.

J

james861

I ended up getting the curved face CCS pads. In the future I would like to try the VC ones. Thanks to everyone who helped and replied.

ShinyRex

Advanced Helper
The PC isn't that powerful so most like the 5" plates as it is easier to keep the 5.5" pads rotating. I have used both 5.5" and 6.5" on my GG6 and both work but the 5.5 feels better. To be perfectly honest I find myself using 4" pads more often these days, but I only work on my own cars and the lines make it easy to break up in to smaller sections. Working on my friends f-150 6.5" pads made life easier. it all depends on your work area.

J

james861

I have a 07 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder so it's a pretty "round" car, not many flat spots other than the hood and trunk. But I do very much appreciate everyones help and opinions. As I get better I'll try other pads etc.