Where Is The Challenge???

Beemerboy

Helper
On a few detail sites I view, I see posts about working on garage queen exotic cars, show cars or general garage queens. To me cleaning these car is a walk in the park and presents itself as no challenge at all in most all cases.

I'm more impressed with the detailers that can clean the rolling cafeteria (soccer mom vans) the daily driver that has gone threw a scratch-O-matic car wash a zillion times or someone that has removed baked on brake dust and brought the rims back to nearly new again.

I got that there is a need for both, but to worship these garage queen detailers as a cut above the rest is ridiculous IMO

I really think that they are looked up to only because of the clientele they have more than anything.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
well Dave, every car deserves to get detailed ... I've done both ends of the spectrum and it is more fun to do the high end cars. You really do get time to "Detail" rather than clean. As far as taking pictures ... it is much more interesting as a detailer to see the a transformation than it is to look at pictures of a car that "should" look great.

Beemerboy

Helper
well Dave, every car deserves to get detailed ... I've done both ends of the spectrum and it is more fun to do the high end cars. You really do get time to "Detail" rather than clean. As far as taking pictures ... it is much more interesting as a detailer to see the a transformation than it is to look at pictures of a car that "should" look great.

I concur that all cars should be clean. However my point is that detailing a garage queen that requires very little cleaning work (washing, stain removal, carpet shampoo, etc) Is really only half the detail job done. Paint correction is required in both cases. The other part of this post, is pointing out the level of transformation from DD to the higher end cars that are weekend fair weather cars. Two totally different details

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
yes Dave, i agree... they are two different jobs requiring different tools and knowledge to complete each task at hand.

BigLeegr

Token Brute and Chief Bottle Washer
Staff member
I like looking at what's done on "garage queens." Often they haven't been treated royally. Looking at the cars on display locally, I see very few that are "detailed." Swirls, holograms, windows rolled down and showing the strip along the top of the glass that wasn't cleaned, tire dressing that just oozes off the tire because it was applied so heavily and over-sprayed onto the rims and panels of the car ... it's sad.
When I see a garage queen that has been taken care of, I'm glad to see it's taken care of. Sure, it may not have required a transformation to get it up to such standards, but considering how easily it is to ruin a good finish when a hack gets their hands on it, it's nice to see people are capable of maintaining the condition.

Also, if I notice a certain poster tends to not post things that interest me, I tend to avoid clicking their threads. Different strokes for different folks. Not everybody likes the same things or does things the same way.