What polish and wax?

BigLeegr

Token Brute and Chief Bottle Washer
Staff member
Which wax is subjective and a personal choice. Some like shiny/reflective, some like a deeper "glow." The best return on investment is the prep before the wax. For example, if you had a scratched up and faded car, you wouldn't likely see much benefit from just waxing it. The scratches and fading would still show. If you spent time polishing (or possibly even claying first) to ensure a smooth clear surface, you would see a much greater improvement.
Now, this isn't to say that your car is faded or scratched, but it's to illustrate the point of full prep vs. just waxing. And again, which wax to use is up to you.
As to the polish, that would be determined by the condition of the paint. If the car is in great shape, going over it with a one-step like PwC may well be enough, whereas a neglected finish may need multiple products, possibly even a glaze.
Sorry if this seems too generic an answer, but each car is unique in needs as are the preferences of the owner. If you do get some pics posted, it may help to get some more specific suggestions.

johnnyb

Advanced Helper
There's probably an easier way to do it, I resize most of my pics in mspaint :mrgreen:

I love pro polish, put it on just about anything and get great results

For wax I only have nattys blue, but always get an awesome shine.

It's time for me to add some new waxes to the arsenal soon :smt080

Dwayne

Operations Manager
Hey PoorGirl,

Will you be applying the wax by hand or by machine. Assuming the finish is in great shape, Natty's Paste Wax - Red is a great choice that gives a dripping wet-look appearance. If the finish isn't absolutely perfect, select Natty's Blue. For the absolute best results before applying any of our waxes, make sure the paint is polished and free of defects like swirls, marring and holograms. We can help you bring the level of shine up before you apply a wax with our SSR swirl removers or you can hide them and fill them in with Poorboy's World Black Hole Show Glaze for darker colored vehicles.

Dwayne

sorry for the delay lovely lady :D

car in question

2mq5ds1.jpg

my car is blue and i generally go for two layers of nattys blue and then two layers of red on top :smt041

Scott P

Advanced Helper
Remember, there is no "best" wax, only the wax that works best for you. Let us know what your detailing process it, how much effort you want to put in and what, if any, detailing tools you have at your disposal.

For a one step product, I like Polish with Carnauba - Blue on darker colors like red. It has decent cleaning abilities and leaves a very nice finish. If you want to step up the game, I would top it with either Natty's Blue or Red. If you have access to a machine, Pro Polish is an excellent paint prep product to do as a first step.

PoorGirl

Helper
Thanks for the replies yes we have machine polisher

On my starlet I use black hole sealant exp and nattys blue

We have just bout swirl remover for the Evo but was unsure what polish to use for the colour? Nattys red seems like a good wax as its high gloss we are after

Thanks

BigLeegr

Token Brute and Chief Bottle Washer
Staff member
I don't think you'll notice much difference in the effectiveness of the polishes based on car colour. Almost all modern cars have clear-coats. The choice would be whether you want to go with mechanical polishes (abrasives), in which case you would go with the SSR's, or with a chemical polish that is pad dependent (PP). The PP would be more versatile (can go from "heavy duty" polishing right through to the finishing polish based upon the pads used). With the SSR's, you would need the proper step to begin with and then move down the abrasiveness scale to the final polish (either SSR1, PP or even something like PwC), but you wouldn't need varying aggressiveness of pad. You could stock up on polishing and LSP pads and maybe get some bulk deals.