Wet Sand or straight to polish?

V

vuldub

I have SSR1, 2, 2.5 and 3 with a PC Dual action polisher. I recently repaired my Willys jeep hood in basecoat then clear coat. Clear coat was 3 wet coats and product specs show it's sandable/buffable in 24hours. The finish has a very fine orange peel texture that I want to remove. So my question is should I wet sand 2000 then 3000, followed with SSR#, then SSR1. Or just go straight to SSR3 without wet sanding. Also, if you think I need to add SSR2.5 or 2 in my process, I am open to suggestions. Thanks in advance.

johnnyb

Advanced Helper
I've wet sanded then buffed uncured clear, and buffed cured clear without wet sanding, but have not tried going to straight to compound on uncured. I'm curious to hear the results from someone who has tried all.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
I have SSR1, 2, 2.5 and 3 with a PC Dual action polisher. I recently repaired my Willys jeep hood in basecoat then clear coat. Clear coat was 3 wet coats and product specs show it's sandable/buffable in 24hours. The finish has a very fine orange peel texture that I want to remove. So my question is should I wet sand 2000 then 3000, followed with SSR#, then SSR1. Or just go straight to SSR3 without wet sanding. Also, if you think I need to add SSR2.5 or 2 in my process, I am open to suggestions. Thanks in advance.

the PC is not really geared to remove sanding marks, but with a lot of patience and working very slowly, it can work ...

Personally I would try the SSR3 first without sanding and rev that PC up to 6 after spreading and go from there.

V

vuldub

the PC is not really geared to remove sanding marks, but with a lot of patience and working very slowly, it can work ...

Personally I would try the SSR3 first without sanding and rev that PC up to 6 after spreading and go from there.

Thanks for the input. I will try that.

V

vuldub

Was going to use an orange pad with my SSR3, but I have been reading about ProCar Denim pads for cutting/polishing orange peel. Anyone have experience with the denim pad on the DA?

V

vuldub

I've wet sanded then buffed uncured clear, and buffed cured clear without wet sanding, but have not tried going to straight to compound on uncured. I'm curious to hear the results from someone who has tried all.

Johnny: After the wet sanding, did you buff the clear coat with a rotary buffer or dual action?

johnnyb

Advanced Helper
I always hit the heavy stuff with a rotary and wool pad. Just like Poorboy said with time and patience the PC may be able to do it, spread compound slowly to avoid slinging, then crank it up to 6.

I'd try first as Poorboy mentioned, to try without wet sanding. That way if you like the finish it's all good and done, and less worry of maybe not having the umph to get those sand scratches out.