using ssr by hand

M

msbeardmore

i dont have a polishing mop or da so, and as im not exerienced in using them i have planned to use ssr3 and work my way through 2.5,2 and finally use 1 before application of bh/exp and so on! do you think i will be able to achieve the desired results doing this? my car only has light swirling on the paint finish, and will be clayed before using the ssr's

BigLeegr

Token Brute and Chief Bottle Washer
Staff member
DO NOT USE SSR3 BY HAND-ESPECIALLY ON "LIGHT SWIRLING!!"

SSR3 is basically rocks in a bottle. It is for extreme defects... not light swirling. You WILL do more damage than good by going this route.

By hand, try repeated applications of BH before applying EX-P. If you want to try polishing, use the SSR1, but it's more of a finishing polish, rather than a correction polish. Try SSR2 or PwS instead.

M

msbeardmore

the reason i ask is because last august i clayed for the first time, followed by a hand application of ssr2.5 then black hole then 2 coats of nattys blue!
whilst being impressed with the results i can still see swirling in the paint, so i thought working down the numbers in the ssr range would work is this not the case? would i just be better using some ssr1 and then black hole to improve my swirl situation?

BigLeegr

Token Brute and Chief Bottle Washer
Staff member
Sometimes a machine is needed to correct paint. Or LOTS of time/elbow grease. When you are polishing to correct scratches etc., you are basically very lightly sanding the paint so the paint is leveled down to the bottom of the scratches. This is where a glaze can help-it fills the marring rather than abrades away the paint, so it looks better, albeit short term.

If you are set on polishing by hand work on 1 small section first and keep working it until you get it to your satisfaction. This will let you see what is needed for the whole car.

M

msbeardmore

cheers sounds like pretty reasonable advice, a bit of a way off yet anyway everythings frozen solid here!

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
BigLeegr said:
Sometimes a machine is needed to correct paint. Or LOTS of time/elbow grease. When you are polishing to correct scratches etc., you are basically very lightly sanding the paint so the paint is leveled down to the bottom of the scratches. This is where a glaze can help-it fills the marring rather than abrades away the paint, so it looks better, albeit short term.

If you are set on polishing by hand work on 1 small section first and keep working it until you get it to your satisfaction. This will let you see what is needed for the whole car.

yeah what he said :mrgreen:

you can start with SSR2 or SSR2.5 by hand and a cotton cloth ... small areas and move slowly :wink: