usefull tips for clay

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
I thought I'd list a few thought tips for claying ...

remember to kneed clay thoroughly before using ... warming in up in your hands will make it more flexible ....

when you think your clay is totally used up, use it on your wheels, then throw it away...

don't forget to clay both your windshield and headlights too ...

if anyone else has some tips, feel free to post them :smt006

D

dtrick.22

I usually dedicate a separate bar of clay for the lower panels. They are always dirtier and tend to have larger particles being removed, so it makes sense to me.

W

wallywax

Check your clay often for contamination and kneed when needed. Use quality lubrication such as spray and wipe.

Merlin

Take Pride in your Ride!
I really don't have a rule for this but I thought I'd see what other folks do.

Wash every week (if I can)
Wax once a month.

Do you clay your paint each time before you apply wax?

Does clay remove the previously applied (last months) wax?

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
Do you clay your paint each time before you apply wax?

Does clay remove the previously applied (last months) wax?

that question my friend it a big topic of debate. I believe it takes some off by not strip a vehicle ...you don't really rub clay into the surface, you let it glide with a lot of lubrication ... it removes surface contaminates, which i believe is above the surface for the most part.

claying once a year is a good idea ..twice for some people, but not for every wax ...

B

big-bailey

once, twice a year? there must not be anything on ur roads or in the air, over here in the Uk we clay at least 4 times. too much road dirt isnt nice

ShinyRex

Advanced Helper
I've found that if I wash my car regularly and keep a good coat of protection then once a year will suffice. If you live near a rail yard or airport you will probably need it more.

ShinyRex

Advanced Helper
Sorry if I missed this but how would you rate the agressiveness of the PB clay compared to Meguiars or Mothers OTC clay kits?

ShinyRex

Advanced Helper
Sorry if I missed this but how would you rate the agressiveness of the PB clay compared to Meguiars or Mothers OTC clay kits?

Well I never got an answer but I did buy some PB clay anyway :). At first it was really tacky and I am not sure I like that but after trying out a piece out on a small section of my car with onr as lube I really like the feel of it and it did a great job doing what clay is meant to do.

So a new question for all you gurus out there: Does tackyness equate to aggressivenes with clay? I have atleast one bar from another maker that is billed as extremely mild and doesnt feel tacky at all and another blue bar from a third company that feels very tacky but is also billed as a mild clay.

G

Gus-Gus

Well I never got an answer but I did buy some PB clay anyway :). At first it was really tacky and I am not sure I like that but after trying out a piece out on a small section of my car with onr as lube I really like the feel of it and it did a great job doing what clay is meant to do.

So a new question for all you gurus out there: Does tackyness equate to aggressivenes with clay? I have atleast one bar from another maker that is billed as extremely mild and doesnt feel tacky at all and another blue bar from a third company that feels very tacky but is also billed as a mild clay.

Thats a good question... Not sure how they rate the aggressiveness of the clay vs the tackiness of it.. im guessing it has to do with the type of materials they use to make the clay that judge the aggressiveness.. Although it may just be how the clay is stored that gives it that feeling.. i know when some of my clays are warmer than others they get really tacky and stick to my hands like bubblegum.. it could also be a lack of moisture... i guess we shall have to wait and see if Steve chimes in