This Was a First in Over Thrid Years at Detailing

Beemerboy

Helper
Last week I worked on a 2005...350Z for a very good friend and customer. He had just brought the car and the paint (jet black) was pretty ruff. No big deal to me just a ton of polishing.

I washed the car in the driveway it was about 9 AM temps in the 80's. Once I got done and was drying the car. I noticed a crack in the the windshield starting on the passenger side at the top and went down about 3 inches and then across the windshield about 8 inches.

I started thinking was this there already or was this something that I did?

When he picked up the car I asked and he said no it wasn't there prior to washing.

I was perplexed as this has NEVER occurred not once in all the years that I've detailed cars. He has AAA and I offered to pay the 100 deductible. He wouldn't have anything to do with it. said that he was going to change the windshield anyway ( it was pretty pitted) So I offered a car wash after he gets the new windshield in. He was good with it, I've cleaned cars for this guy for over 8 years.

That said I called a window place and asked what they thought what might have happened. The guy said that there must have have been a hair line crack there already and when the cold water hit the hot window it cracked.

I guess from now on I will pay closer attention to the windows for cracks prior to washing and to make sure and point those out to the customer.

Just an FYI to all of you

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
unfortunately I have seen this, but on my own car :( it's definitely not something that can be easily spotted

This I had seen before, many yrs ago. Very hot car plus cold water was a crack windshield, I still don't know why, but never done it again. Owner was not happy and my wallet either.