SSR2.5 and SSR1 - breakdown?

D

DeadEyeJack

Hi first post here so be gentle.

After recieving my Dewalt DW443 Random Orbital and box of Poorboys goodies, I set about doing a test on my boot lid.

I started with SSR2.5 as I had some deep swirls.

I read that when its ready to be removed, it begins to dust. I never ever got to this stage? I put a cross of SSR2.5 on the Lake country cutting pad and tried slow and high speeds (high on the Dewalt 7000rpm!)

The paintwork was cold as it was cloudy and recently rained.

Should it dust in a similar way as AutoGlym polish does with it sets as in i should be able to blow bit of dried polish off?

Help

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
DeadEyeJack said:
Hi first post here so be gentle.

After recieving my Dewalt DW443 Random Orbital and box of Poorboys goodies, I set about doing a test on my boot lid.

I started with SSR2.5 as I had some deep swirls.

I read that when its ready to be removed, it begins to dust. I never ever got to this stage? I put a cross of SSR2.5 on the Lake country cutting pad and tried slow and high speeds (high on the Dewalt 7000rpm!)

The paintwork was cold as it was cloudy and recently rained.

Should it dust in a similar way as AutoGlym polish does with it sets as in i should be able to blow bit of dried polish off?

Help

Welcome to our forum...
Now to your question...if you use SSR2.5 correctly it will not dust. Dusting usually ocurs if you use too much product, you don't use it at a sufficient speed to allow it to break down, or you pads are clogging up. Sounds like none of these conditions occured so you are using it correctly :)

D

DeadEyeJack

Thanks for that!

It doesn't explain why I couldn't remove all the swirls. Its a 6-month old BMW M3 so shouldn't have too many dodgy scratches. (it was the dealer principles car)

It has a sticker in the window that suggests that it had AutoGlym LifeShine.

I have scratchx'd the car and used some other maguiars stuff so I suspect it has been removed by now?

Should I use the Dewalt at its highest speed or try and match number 6 on the PC's speed?

Hard or soft?

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
DeadEyeJack said:
Thanks for that!

It doesn't explain why I couldn't remove all the swirls. Its a 6-month old BMW M3 so shouldn't have too many dodgy scratches. (it was the dealer principles car)

It has a sticker in the window that suggests that it had AutoGlym LifeShine.

I have scratchx'd the car and used some other maguiars stuff so I suspect it has been removed by now?

Should I use the Dewalt at its highest speed or try and match number 6 on the PC's speed?

Hard or soft?

You didn't say how many passes you made, but it varies by vehicle and finish. Just because it looks like the swirls are minor, they may be deeper than you think. I've done 10 passes on a Carrara S that only have a couple thousand miles on it. Being that it was a dealer car, it was probably washed often and incorrectly.

D

DeadEyeJack

Oh ok, does a pass mean how many times I polished for a bit and then wiped off?

I guess I did 2!

Then one with SSR1 and one with EX-P with decreasing pads..

I will try a couple more, I guess that as long as its a swirl or light scratch then there is enough clear left!

Your also right about the dealer washing it incorrectly even though it did have LifeShine. It had a lot of swirls that I got out by hand.

Before
4.jpg

After
10.jpg
[/img]

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
DeadEyeJack said:
Oh ok, does a pass mean how many times I polished for a bit and then wiped off?

I guess I did 2!

Then one with SSR1 and one with EX-P with decreasing pads..

I will try a couple more, I guess that as long as its a swirl or light scratch then there is enough clear left!

Your also right about the dealer washing it incorrectly even though it did have LifeShine. It had a lot of swirls that I got out by hand.

Yes, that's what a pass is :smt045

It would take years using this process to go through the clear unless you just worked one spot for a long time without moving the pc.