Solvent Based Tire/Rubber Dressing?

M

mblgjr

Hi,

Just wondering if you gentlemen had given any though to producing a solvent based (or non-water based) tire/rubber dressing?

I bring this to your attention because I'd like to see NL or BnB last a bit longer than it currently does. Most of my vehicles tend to sit outside in all kinds of weather and I wind up re-dressing my tires between washes sometimes.

Just looking for something that lasts a bit longer.

Thanks.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
I just received a sample of a new gel for tires and trim ...I look at it as an upgraded version of Trim Restorer, which some people do use on their tires and interiors for longer shine...I might be looking for some people to be testers :wink: :roll: :D

M

mblgjr

Let me know how this turned out or if anything came of it.

I've been using brand M dilutable water based dressing for a while out of convenience.

Plus anything that works good on hard, grained plastic exterior trim would be a plus.

:D

awd330

Advanced Helper
I participated in the beta test. The prototype provided a brighter gloss than BnB on tires, but it didn't appear to provide any additional durability unless there was no rain or snow. For exterior trim, I preferred the standard Trim Restorer formula since it was easier to work with (less oily).

F

FinerPoint

most distributprs are being forced to go water based because of voc compliance. ive used plenty of different water based dressings in various dillutions. the look you can achieve is nice, exspecially when allowing the dressing to sit on the tire over night. the problem i have with these dressings is with both price and longevity.Most of this stuff doesnt last through a single rainstorm.believe me i know, i work at dealerships and have to sit there and watch cars sit in the lot after im paid good money to clean them. i go through about 5 gallons of dressing every 6 weeks or so, ive tried alot of products. i can buy a certain solvent based tire dressing for $55 from a local distributor. That price is rediculous but the funny thing is that the stuff is so much better than all this water based stuff they are trying to force on you. I can think of 2 cars, an 08 acura tl and a 08 lexus es that i watched sit in the lot for more than a month, through plenty of rainstorms, and you could still tell that the tires had been dressed when the cars finally sold. i used to use this wated based stuff that cost $93 for a 5 gallon ($38 more than solvent based) the stuff looked great but it wouldnt last through 1 single rainstorm. we mostly started dilluting the stuff and using it on engines or sometimes wheel wells.

i really dont see why people would think a WATER based dressing would have any type of longevity. the distributors try to tell you why its great but when it comes down to it , the only reason they are selling it is to meet voc compliance laws. the prices are inflated too

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
FinerPoint said:
most distributprs are being forced to go water based because of voc compliance. ive used plenty of different water based dressings in various dillutions. the look you can achieve is nice, exspecially when allowing the dressing to sit on the tire over night. the problem i have with these dressings is with both price and longevity.Most of this stuff doesnt last through a single rainstorm.believe me i know, i work at dealerships and have to sit there and watch cars sit in the lot after im paid good money to clean them. i go through about 5 gallons of dressing every 6 weeks or so, ive tried alot of products. i can buy a certain solvent based tire dressing for $55 from a local distributor. That price is rediculous but the funny thing is that the stuff is so much better than all this water based stuff they are trying to force on you. I can think of 2 cars, an 08 acura tl and a 08 lexus es that i watched sit in the lot for more than a month, through plenty of rainstorms, and you could still tell that the tires had been dressed when the cars finally sold. i used to use this wated based stuff that cost $93 for a 5 gallon ($38 more than solvent based) the stuff looked great but it wouldnt last through 1 single rainstorm. we mostly started dilluting the stuff and using it on engines or sometimes wheel wells.

i really dont see why people would think a WATER based dressing would have any type of longevity. the distributors try to tell you why its great but when it comes down to it , the only reason they are selling it is to meet voc compliance laws. the prices are inflated too

one reason that the dealers must use water-based is the tired warranty ...using solvent based products will void the warranty ..it's in the small print :wink: I checked when i bought my new Sequoia :?