Sealant with UV Protectant for polished headlights?

D

Deutsch Marques

I have an 8 year old VW Passat. A year or two ago, I polished them with my Porter Cable due to the yellowing and opaqueness which had formed. They looked pretty good. For a while. They need to be done again, especially after retrofitting a HID kit into the projector headlamps. Previously, it was recommended that I just use the Poorboys Wheel Sealant on the headlights. But will the WS or any other PB's sealants protect the plastic from the UV which is causing the trouble to begin with?

Thanks,
Eric

G

Gus-Gus

Eric,
I hear a lot of problems with VW plastic especially headlights.. and the problem is the UV coating that originally was on the plastic is long gone.. im not sure wheel sealant has any UV protection to it.. i may be wrong though.. I honestly would probably use pro polish on them to clear them up again maybe even some ssr 2.5 then ssr1 and top em with EX-p and maybe a coat of wax too for added measure.. the only thing i know for a fact that has UV protection in it is QW + and Natural look dressing.. and you dont want to use NL ont he outside of your car :) so yeah try the QW+ maybe and see how it goes

ShinyRex

Advanced Helper
Unfortunately anything short of a permanent coating is only going to last for a short time. One alternative to a commercial coating is a spar urethane mixture. If you search Google for it and headlight refinishing I think you will find several reputable sites with threads on it. I have never tried it but it gets a lot of good press and is worth looking into.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
if you have already done polishing years ago the protection is probably history .. the more you polish them the faster they will yellow and haze ..

I would try a different path and start searching the internet for some nice used or even some NOS parts that might still be available .. all the time, money and effort on the old lights will still never be like a new lights.. just an alternative ;)

D

Deutsch Marques

So the Wheel Sealant has no UV protection? The car is 8 years old and I plan to replace it within the next 6-18 months, so I don't want to hassle with replacing the headlights themselves. Polishing them makes them look like-new. However, with the factory UV protection long gone, they start to yellow again within a few months. I'm looking for a stopgap between now and trading/selling the car. Applying some wax to the headlights every time I detail is fine by me, if it keeps the lenses clear in the meantime.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
So the Wheel Sealant has no UV protection? The car is 8 years old and I plan to replace it within the next 6-18 months, so I don't want to hassle with replacing the headlights themselves. Polishing them makes them look like-new. However, with the factory UV protection long gone, they start to yellow again within a few months. I'm looking for a stopgap between now and trading/selling the car. Applying some wax to the headlights every time I detail is fine by me, if it keeps the lenses clear in the meantime.

there is protection, but mostly against moisture and heat ... I have used Wheel Sealant on my headlights in the past , but they were new ,so i can't really give you any feed back other than they were clear when I sold it 4 years later .. I would not wax them, as they get really hot during night driving. A light Pro Polish as need will really be the best option.