Re-application frequency?

J

jimeez

I am new to all this...so bear with me.

I just purchased a new vehicle. '06 Silverado. Greystone Metallic paint. I washed it down with Dawn (I know...never again), clay bar all surfaces, EX, then Natty's.

I have been washing my vehicle weekly with SSS with a pre-wash/soak with Bug Squash.

Two questions:
  • How often do I have to reapply the EX or the Natty's?
    What is a good product to use on leather and vinyl interior?
Thank you.

BigLeegr

Token Brute and Chief Bottle Washer
Staff member
1- Whenever you feel like it. :p
Some people re-apply weekly, some monthly, some ... well, not so often. :roll: It's up to you. I usually wait until I either have to polish the paint or the beading gets weak. These depend on various factors, so I don't have a set time schedule.
2- Natural Look is good for either, Leather Stuff is made for leather.

X

xlnt

I live in a temparate climate and my ride is a pavement queen. I clay/polish/seal/wax once a year (at least), and use spray-n-wipe/spray-n-gloss every week if not more. :smt023

V

VroomVroom

I use a similar topcoat combo on my pickup. I'll apply EX once every three-four months, and Natty's once a month. Poorboy's Leather Stuff is excellent on leather.

J

jimeez

Ok. How long is EX (or EXp) supposed to last? I seem to only be getting a week or two out of my application. This stuff should last longer than that, right?

BigLeegr

Staff member
It should last much longer! :shock:
What do you mean by "last?" The water beading is dead? Paint doesn't look as nice? Slickness is gone?
(How strong is your Bug Squash pre-soak mix?)

J

jimeez

The "slickness" is gone for one thing. If you run your finger on the surface you can feel the paint again. The sealant is gone. I'm getting water stains (from rain) that are permeating the seal (or lack thereof). I just reapplied EX two weeks ago and the water beading is dying off already. A wash and a Spray & Gloss brings it back...but only for a day or two depending on sun intensity.

Bug squash mix is 3 to 1 as recommended. And I only use it on the backs of mirrors and the front grill.

F

FreeBIZZ

I have Natty's Blue over EX. If I want to add more sealant at some point, due I have to strip everything down first?

BigLeegr

Staff member
Well, I get over a month with EX, and I've heard of others getting 5+ of good beading. (I live near a cement factory and a grain elevator, so my "slickness" and "just waxed looks" never last too long. :oops: )
Have you gotten better/longer lasting results from other products?
By "dying off" do you mean barely there, or not "new/tight/small" beading anymore?
Also, and this may not mean anything, but did you use any polish after the claying, or did you go straight to EX?
By the way-are you in an area that's experiencing harsh weather? (heat/rain etc.)

Hopefully someone with more experience with varying results/corrective actions will chime in. Ya got me! :?

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
FreeBIZZ said:
I have Natty's Blue over EX. If I want to add more sealant at some point, due I have to strip everything down first?

I would do a light polish to remove the Natty's before applying more EX :)

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
jimeez said:
Ok. How long is EX (or EXp) supposed to last? I seem to only be getting a week or two out of my application. This stuff should last longer than that, right?

what makes you think you are getting only a couple of weeks?
what are your application steps?
what is your maintenence routine?
more info is needed...

J

jimeez

Perhaps I am confused about which product is for what use.....

• Anyway, application from start to finish:
    Washed entire vehicle with Dawn dish detergent (first and last time)
    Clay bar
    Poorboy's Polish with Carnauba
    EX Sealant
    Natty's Paste Wax

Roughly a 30 minute lapse between application and removal of each product. I try to wash my vehicle once a week with fairly good success. I wash with SSS followed by drying with The Absorber and a good ole Spray & Gloss.

I recently (three weeks ago) reapplied the EX and the Natty's.....but I did NOT polish first. Maybe that is my problem? Anyway...

What made me first think that I am only getting a couple weeks out of the EX is that I was unable to wash my vehicle for two weeks (directly after the reapplication) while I was on vacation. I washed it when I returned (with SS). Dried it and skipped the S&G step due to lack of time. I now have water stains that will not come out. The surface does not have that slick feel to it anymore. My Absorber "squeaks" across the surface rather than glides. Hard to explain in writing...

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
jimeez said:
Perhaps I am confused about which product is for what use.....

• Anyway, application from start to finish:
    Washed entire vehicle with Dawn dish detergent (first and last time)
    Clay bar
    Poorboy's Polish with Carnauba
    EX Sealant
    Natty's Paste Wax

Roughly a 30 minute lapse between application and removal of each product. I try to wash my vehicle once a week with fairly good success. I wash with SSS followed by drying with The Absorber and a good ole Spray & Gloss.

I recently (three weeks ago) reapplied the EX and the Natty's.....but I did NOT polish first. Maybe that is my problem? Anyway...

What made me first think that I am only getting a couple weeks out of the EX is that I was unable to wash my vehicle for two weeks (directly after the reapplication) while I was on vacation. I washed it when I returned (with SS). Dried it and skipped the S&G step due to lack of time. I now have water stains that will not come out. The surface does not have that slick feel to it anymore. My Absorber "squeaks" across the surface rather than glides. Hard to explain in writing...

ok let's start with a few basics...
after applying EX (which is a sealant) you should wait 24-72 hours before topping. The combination you use it very good for looks, but you compromise the durability of the sealant if you don't let it fully cure.
Next, you can not top the Natty's with more EX without polishing the vehicle again to remove the previous layers of Natty's.
The water stains.... if during the two weeks you were away it rained and then the sun baked the water beading into the finish, you will probably need a light polish. Rain water is not clean and does also contain mineral that will cause water marks. I would definitely go back to your Polish w/ carnauba stage, do a quick polish, apply two coats of EX, then let them sit a day or two, and then add the Natty's. When you feel the urge to do more in a few weeks, just wash and add more Natty's only.
Hope this helped. :)