pro polish 2

~2shiny~

Hi guys,

Question about pro polish 2.
Like, where does it fit in :)

Would it be enough with a light cutting pad for hard paint like bmw / mercedes / vag paint?

johnnyb

Advanced Helper
I'm about to find out for myself as I'm just about to use it.

But quoted from poorboy in another thread here "Pro Polish 2 (PP2) should repair anything you need it to .. Master Cut or SSR3 would be used if you were wet sanding first"

Beings its mechanical then pad dependant, I would think you could get a good bit out of a light cutting pad.

ShawnF350

Advanced Helper
I tried some 2x2 test areas on a highly swirled white 98 Mercury Marquis. (My learning to remove defects vehicle). The paint looks great until the night lighting shines.
I used a flex 3401 with an orange LC flat 5.5 pad, PP2.
I did 5 passes 3 times with quite an improvement but still more defects to remove. I tried a different test spot using an optimum microfiber 5.5 cutting pad but realized today it's probably not going to perform as well as on a porter cable? But it did cut well center of the fibers all flat though after section passes.

Should I step up to a yellow pad or can someone suggest a better method? I would like to see results after 5 section passes without repeating. Master cut rotary specific, is it time for a rotary?
I tried using some Meguiars ultimate compound too with not much difference as the PP2.
Thanks

johnnyb

Advanced Helper
when doing your paint correction, make sure you have a light source that's showing the defected areas properly, that way you can see the results pass after pass.

I can't say for sure if you need to step up to a rotary (lot of variables in play), but if your orange pad isn't removing all necessary defects, you'll need to go into something more aggressive with your flex da.

keep in mind that there's a finite amount of clear on your car (or if single stage, clear color mixed). if I've had to do a lot of paint correction on a car, and there's a lot still to go, I'll usually recommend to the client to fill the rest with a glaze.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
there are a lot of questions and variables here .. first it's a '95 .. paints were not great then and if it's original it could just be beaten up beyond what you would want to try and removed before the clear that is there just wears through ... if it's a repaint and you are not seeing much improvement, there is a good chance that what you are seeing is under the current clear. Also by using an abrasive pad (orange) with an abrasive product (PP2) you are making as many swirls as you are removing .. the only thing you will get is better clarity in the paint. Johnny might be right that a glaze like White Diamond would suit the situation rather than total swirl removal on a 20 year old finish.

ShawnF350

Advanced Helper
Thanks for the input. It's also a lack of experience I have too. During the day it looks like a brand new car..
I'm going back to the glaze then I guess.. Good idea. I may see if I can get some photos and post them. I don't believe the whole car was repainted but do know a possible fender and bumper was. It looks like the previous owner took it to the car wash a lot.
I don't see more swirls .. After polishing. At night the swirls come out.
I think going to do my wife's 2010 edge we bought pre swirled. If they come out then it's the car.. Not me.

ronkh

Da King
Thanks for the input. It's also a lack of experience I have too. During the day it looks like a brand new car..
I'm going back to the glaze then I guess.. Good idea. I may see if I can get some photos and post them. I don't believe the whole car was repainted but do know a possible fender and bumper was. It looks like the previous owner took it to the car wash a lot.
I don't see more swirls .. After polishing. At night the swirls come out.
I think going to do my wife's 2010 edge we bought pre swirled. If they come out then it's the car.. Not me.

Cover em up with 2 coats of black hole, ten expx2, then nattys blue
then
go to detail weekend next spring, and learn

(just a thought)

ShawnF350

Advanced Helper
I do plan on going in 2015.
I'm going to winterize my explorer and edge soon so I just coated the Marquis with some EX for now.

Does Black Hole hide more than White Diamond?

Thanks again..
I was going to try the PP first on the Dark Blue Ford Edge.

Eandras1

Advanced Helper
I do plan on going in 2015.
I'm going to winterize my explorer and edge soon so I just coated the Marquis with some EX for now.

Does Black Hole hide more than White Diamond?

Thanks again..
I was going to try the PP first on the Dark Blue Ford Edge.

Black hole is used on darker cars and white diamond is used on lighter colored cars. I use pp2 with the black or white pads depends on what correction is needed.

Ed