Polished Aluminum

L

Lucky13MN

Ok, I'll ask the loaded question...

How do I get my polished aluminum wheels looking their best? Short of throwing them in the trash and buying new ones I have lost hope that I'll ever see my reflection again.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
The questions would be how bad are they? are you going to do this by hand or machine? and do you have any pictures?

It's always possible to bring them back:)

L

Lucky13MN

Sorry, I'm bad with details...

1. Fairly bad, but still shine up 'ok'. You can see the white stains/corrosion and some various other markings. They've been through a few Minnesota winters.

2. I have the Mothers Powerball and that seems to help, or at least make the job easier, but still not satisfied with the results (have only tried the polish it came with).

Pics: None, because I always try to disguise the wheels... aka, no close ups.

Here's a pic for reference though:

228081.jpg

V

VroomVroom

Step One: buy those chrome 20's. :lol:

I'm sure you'll get them looking great again, Chris. Don't forget the wheel sealant to protect them afterward. I absolutely love that stuff...and not just for the smell.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
:lol: Jerry..

ok to save them and bring them back ..use the polishing ball and rub SSR2.5 into the ball ...work it thoroughly into everywhere evenly....after you have worked it, clean the ball of as much residue as possible without getting it wet and apply a good amount of Professional Polish to the ball and really buff it well. Buff with a smooth cotton towel and don't be afraid to rub until you feel heat coming through the towel. We've done this by hand to unpolished aluminum wheels and made them look polished:D

ps wear goggles and an apron as this is a messy job with the polishing ball :smt110

L

Lucky13MN

Thanks guys, I'll be headed to the PB store shortly :lol:

R

Rob

I would further add, having had experience with midwest winter damage, that you may wish to start with wetsanding if you have really bad corrosion and pitting. Second, after you get them shined up, trade 'em in towards chrome wheels because the salt will ruin them in no time!
OPTION #2 Spray and rinse (this will turn them white but should remove bad corrosion and debris) then buff them back out with Pro and your ball.

Tell us how it went!