Paint Transfer on Black Plastic Trim and Black Fender

vdub_dave

Helper
Have a new 2016 Ford Explorer (dark gray, almost black) where we had a minor mishap. What happened was we had some paint transfer on the front fender that included some minor scuffing to the plastic trim at the edge and on the paint (not past the clear coat). What would be the best way to remove the paint transfer off the plastic trim and paint and remove some minor scuffing. SSR1 with a white pad and end with a polish and a red pad? See the attachment as to what I'm working with 20170104_093318.jpg

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
Hi Dave .. congrats on the new ride ... Pro Polish or Pro Polish 2 should fix the paint well. but honestly I would buy at new trim piece ... the damage that will be inflicted to remove the paint will make a new vehicle look not new if you see what i'm saying .. if you want to try, then use Prep-Sol and a soft brush , wash and dry thoroughly, then treat with Trim Restorer

vdub_dave

Helper
Thank you. I see what you're saying, so repairing the plastic trim on the fender may not be worth it just replace it? The other part to mention is there is no paint on the plastic trim. It's just a black piece of plastic trim. The majority of the paint transfer is on the plastic and thought it would be ok to clean up. Good choice for using the Pro Polish on the paint side, this should work well.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
if you had told me it was a 10 year old vehicle I may have gone the last try, but it's a new vehicle and should look it for at least the first 5 + years