Paint chips - Langka system - problems

ronkh

Da King
I have some chips on car. So I ordered the Langka system.

For the first time in my life I actually read and re-read the insructions.......

It seemed easy enough to follow, so I went ahead and tried it.

IPA (straight out of bottle) wipe
let dry
follow Langka instructions (to the letter)
When I went to "level" the new paint the chips came up empty.

I tried 3 different methods (all of their instructions) and came up with the same results.

Any advice?

C

Concours.John

You could be dissolving surounding wax w/the IPA and coating the chip if not cleaning the surrouning area far enough. If any wax has transfered into the chip the paint will not stick. If the solvent wipe is too saturated it can also do this (wax residue makes it even more of a headache). Not sure if I'm helping.
Another thing when I do IPA wipes prior to paint I always have a second lint free towel to dry and don't let it air dry. It can actually change the way metallic lies. IPA can stir up paint issues like this if things aren't completely clean.
Just not sure what the instructions say if you can post them that would be great.

ronkh

Da King
You could be dissolving surounding wax w/the IPA and coating the chip if not cleaning the surrouning area far enough. If any wax has transfered into the chip the paint will not stick. If the solvent wipe is too saturated it can also do this (wax residue makes it even more of a headache). Not sure if I'm helping.
Another thing when I do IPA wipes prior to paint I always have a second lint free towel to dry and don't let it air dry. It can actually change the way metallic lies. IPA can stir up paint issues like this if things aren't completely clean.
Just not sure what the instructions say if you can post them that would be great.

I did read somewherre that an ipa wipe might not be sufficient, that it may just float the wax and then let it re-set. So I'll try what you say with a 2nd towel, and maybe a water rinse first too.

P

pgcobravert

I have seen that Dr Color Chip, is it a good product? I have a few chips I would like to fix before Mustang Week

P

pgcobravert

I have seen pictures from a guy that used the Dr Color Chips on the front of his Cobra. It made it look a whole lot better.

C

Concours.John

Most of the process has been based on things that have been used for years. It just uses less harmfull solvents to get the same professional like results. Understand you need to know how each and every paint will re-act to certain solvents before you choose to use them with rare or original paints.

jsf721

Helper
Ronny boy how the hell are you. It is Jeff formerly jsfM35X, Anyway are we talking 1 or 2 chips or is the car peppered? 1 or 2 I would clean with prep solv or IPA. Using a toothpick and factory touch up paint build up the coats until it is slightly above surface. 3-5 thin coats. (Thin=Win) as they will cure better. Let dry 1 week. Take 3000 sand paper and use a hole puncher to get a small round dot to sand paper. Gule that to the top of a new pencil eraser. Wet area and sand paper thouroughly. Let soak 5 minutes. Snad the blob flat. Polish like I know you can and seal that baby up.

If you are peppered, use the Dr COlorchip, from 3-5 feet looks really good. Up close not so much but way better than nothing!

Good Luck and next time "Clear Bra" Bro.

ronkh

Da King
Ronny boy how the hell are you. It is Jeff formerly jsfM35X, Anyway are we talking 1 or 2 chips or is the car peppered? 1 or 2 I would clean with prep solv or IPA. Using a toothpick and factory touch up paint build up the coats until it is slightly above surface. 3-5 thin coats. (Thin=Win) as they will cure better. Let dry 1 week. Take 3000 sand paper and use a hole puncher to get a small round dot to sand paper. Gule that to the top of a new pencil eraser. Wet area and sand paper thouroughly. Let soak 5 minutes. Snad the blob flat. Polish like I know you can and seal that baby up.

If you are peppered, use the Dr COlorchip, from 3-5 feet looks really good. Up close not so much but way better than nothing!

Good Luck and next time "Clear Bra" Bro.

Three chips. I'll give your method a try.

Thanks

HI JEFF !!!!

Got rid of the VW, went back to BMW. (same color as you :) )

When do we get to see the new beast ???

jsf721

Helper
Three chips. I'll give your method a try.

Thanks

HI JEFF !!!!

Got rid of the VW, went back to BMW. (same color as you :) )

When do we get to see the new beast ???

The beast is a beast. I have driven some fast cars in my day and nothing prepared me for this. I should have done this years ago-I feel like I am 17 again. This car gobblesd asphalt like I gobble 5 guys burgers! Enough said? The Ceramic brakes don't throw off any dust-ZERO. The only thing I clean them with is car wash soap to get the road grime off. I usually go away 4th of July weekend but I see the detail fest is planned with that weekend? We will see. if the only long weekend of the summer and I usually try to get out of Dodge.

Do you ever get down to LI? If yes let em know and we can meet for lunch.

Owning a black car was great practice for the white car. Now this is EASY! Plus I follow the same pains taking procedures to make sure i don't mess it up washing it. It was all good training. The Black car goes back in December and I have to figure out what to get for a DD. I like the black when it clean, but it AINT easy.

ronkh

Da King
The beast is a beast. I have driven some fast cars in my day and nothing prepared me for this. I should have done this years ago-I feel like I am 17 again. This car gobblesd asphalt like I gobble 5 guys burgers! Enough said? The Ceramic brakes don't throw off any dust-ZERO. The only thing I clean them with is car wash soap to get the road grime off. I usually go away 4th of July weekend but I see the detail fest is planned with that weekend? We will see. if the only long weekend of the summer and I usually try to get out of Dodge.

Do you ever get down to LI? If yes let em know and we can meet for lunch.

Owning a black car was great practice for the white car. Now this is EASY! Plus I follow the same pains taking procedures to make sure i don't mess it up washing it. It was all good training. The Black car goes back in December and I have to figure out what to get for a DD. I like the black when it clean, but it AINT easy.

The P 4 dr is starting to interest me. When it first came out, I didn't like it. Now it's starting to turn my head.

C

chelsear513

I have seen that Dr Color Chip, is it a good product? I have a few chips I would like to fix before Mustang Week

Thought I'd give some first-hand observations since I already tried Dr. Color Chip for my Mustang.
It's mainly a 2 step touch up paint kit. For first step you paint the chip or scratch with a liquid that is the actual colors of the car using a fine brush included in the kit, and then wipe it out using a glove that is also provided. Then let it dry for about one minute. After that, you apply this Pinkish liquid solution on a towel, called Prefast, which you lightly rub over the touch up paint, which takes away the excess paint. It is suppose to fill the scratch or chip with your touch up color.

I just followed the directions as instructed and after quite a few layers, I managed to fill up a small 1 inch scratch. On the other hand, the touch up paint is a bit hazy, so the scratch is still noticeably there, but instead of having a white background, the scratch is a milky black color.

BigLeegr

Token Brute and Chief Bottle Washer
Staff member
Would polishing help to clarify the paint and make it less hazy? Is it possibly hazy due to it being not completely smooth?

C

chelsear513

The directions say that it will take up to 7-10 days for the paint to cure to a shine. But after a few days, it just doesn’t look that great to me. I’m thinking of trying out Langka. Seems like their system may be the better way for chip repair. :neutral:

Reddwarf

Advanced Helper
Good luck with it! I tried the product and never could get success. But that's probably user error on my part.