Over thinking which pad to use and how many to own

ShinyRex

Advanced Helper
As I build up my stock pile of detailing stuff I started to ponder how many pads I should own and if I really needed to keep a pad dedicated to a specific product.

So here is my question. If I use a finishing polish like M205 or Swirl x, SSR1 etc...and try it on a white pad then if that doesn't work switch to an orange before thinking or going with a more aggressive product. Should I also consider using such a light polish with a grey/black finishing pad? either as my original starting point or to go over any potential marring from the orange pads or am I overthinking it and assuming that your polish will finish out nicely a white bad should sufice?

For pads I am using the LC CCS pads and right now I do everything by hand but I should be getting a DA from Santa. I will need to get some 5.5 inch pads and I am trying to narrow down what I need to start.

Do you guys really keep a different pad for different compounds?
Thanks

BigLeegr

Token Brute and Chief Bottle Washer
Staff member
Finishing polishes are typically intended to be used with milder pads. SSR1 with an orange pad is not recommended.

Whether or not to follow up with a gray pad after using a white pad has much to do with the time you have and the level of perfection you are trying to achieve. Some people wouldn't notice any difference between the two efforts, but some do, so you would need to decide which one is your customer. (or you)

Keeping a different pad for different products typically means "per detail" not indefinitely. Pads can be cleaned and used for other products. What is meant by "1 pad/product" is that you shouldn't use the same pad you just used a compound with to follow up with a finishing polish. You won't get the best results possible that way as there will likely be some compound residue left in the pad that may mar your polishing.

ShinyRex

Advanced Helper
Thanks, I really did take the one pad one product thing very literally. My customer is very demanding, a pain in the %$$ and doesn't tip for ^%^% (me). I was thinking of applying all of my liquids by machine but still doing my NB paste by hand. Is that common or does everyone apply it by machine also?

BigLeegr

Token Brute and Chief Bottle Washer
Staff member
I apply pastes by hand. I have thought of doing a quick spread of the paste, spraying a bit of QD and then rubbing it in with a machine. Haven't gotten around to trying it yet, though.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
I apply NB by hand most of the time, by machine you really don't save a lot of time, but you do save a little..