NEWBIE..Which products to use.

F

frankdenial

G'day to all....Up until recently I have been using Meguiars products. Poorboys products are now starting to get a good rep here in the 'land down under' so I am thinking of giving them a go. I am not a detailer by trade. With Meguairs I was able to use their online prescrition on their web site and ring a local number to get advice on which of their products to use. I have been searching the web to find out as much info about Poorboys and I am still a little confused about which products to use.
So what do I use...?
My paint colour is called Shanghi Red. It is clear coated.
HSV.jpg

I have minor swirls on the horizontal surfaces and the car.
Unfortunately my car is not garaged very often.
I will be using a random orbital machine with Edge pads www.edgepads.com to apply the product where necessary.
Which Poorboys products should I use? eg SSR1 followed by PP followed by sealant or wax?
Which Edge pad would you recommend I should apply each product with?
I am happy to use a wax and apply more often rather than use a sealant if that gives a better results.
Thanks in advance.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
Welcome to the Poorboy's World forum ...you can ask questions 24/7 and someone will always come soon enough to help. You have a great guy down under named David from waxit.co.au and he can always help locally.
I would use SSR2.5 with a polishing pad and do as many passes as needed to repair the swirls to your liking, then follow with either SSR1 or Professional Polish with a finishing pad...I really prefer SSR1 for your color. Then after all the prep is to your standards, you can apply a wax or Sealant or both...Natty's blue looks really good on your color and even better with a couple coats of EX prior. Welcome again :smt006

Steve

F

frankdenial

Steve,
thanks for the welcome and the prompt reply and advice. Great to know that there is someone 'local' to get advice from (David from waxit.com.au - only some 2700 miles away local - lol). Yes I will be ordering from waxit.com.au online. I am looking forward to using Poorboys as I say have only heard and read good things about it. Also looking forward to being a part of this forum. Once again, many thanks.

budman3

Thats one cool looking car! I like the color too. So what products... I can't tell what SSR # you'd need because I can't see the swirls but 2.5 or 2 should get rid of those. You then can choose SSR 1, Pro Polish or Polish with Carnauba to do the final polishing and then top it with EX, EX-P, or Natty's wax. If I were you, I'd do the SSR2.5, SSR1, PwC blue, and then EX and then Nattys Blue, or just EX or just Natty's. That'll be a full Poorboys treatment. And for those days where there is a little dust on the car and you don't feel like washing, pick up some Spray and Wipe too :lol:

F

frankdenial

Thanks Budman3 for the advice and compliments on the car. The photo I attached in my orignal post was only so I could give an indication of colour. Here are the swirls I am talking about....
swirl.jpg

I would describe them as minor and can only really be seen when there is intense light available. I was originally considering using SSR1 with a light cut Edge pad, then going to Professional Polish or PwC using a finishing pad then to a sealant or wax with a ultrafine finishing pad, but it would appear that SSR2.5 is the way to go first.
For info, if you are interested, the car it is a Holden Special Vehilces Senator Signature. It is a rear wheel drive, four door sedan powered by a 5.7lt LS1 motor. You maybe familiar with the Pontiac GTO which is a rebadged version of the Holden Monaro. My car is an enhanced four door version of the Monaro.
Once again many thanks

B

Blake

I just traded a daily driver that appeared to be a similar colour to yours and I too became a fan of Poorboy's products.
No arguments about the suggestion to use SSR 2.5 or PP. I became a big fan of EX-P topped with Nattys on my unit. This was a vehicle that sat outside 24/7 yet always looked very sharp. Nattys is definitely a "must use" as far as I'm concerned. It is very easy to use and the results are spectacular.

D

drivenbyshine

Hello frank, im in australia to up near dave waxit.com.au on the gold coast so im no closer to you im tipping your in perth mayby, anyway nice senator I used to have a senator also love the V8 HSV's.

Give dave a call I get all my supplies off him and he is possibly the most helpfull supplier I know.

He will know the car, and type of paint and have the products you need.

I use poorboys heaps and you wont be dissapointed

Chris

F

frankdenial

G'day Drivenbyshine...Thanks 4 the reply. I have already placed and received my order from Dave at waxit au. Ordered Poorboys products and to apply them ended up going with the Wolfgang pads which are manufactured by Lake County and I ordered a heap of the Aquatouch Microfibre cloths. Now the fun begins......
I actually live in Melbourne. I think I buggered up with my calculation conversion from Km's to miles for the distance from Melb to Brisvegas... should be 1054 miles.
Yes I love my HSV's. Which model Senator did you have?
Speaking of HSV's I have been having a sniff around HSV HQ to try and catch a glimpse of the upcoming VE. No luck yet.
BTW my name is actually Matt.

D

drivenbyshine

hey Matt, I had a absolute mint VP Senator Build No 39 of 201 back in the day and I actually grew up just down the road from the Centre Rd Clayton HSV factory in East Bentleigh, Bignell Rd actually if you know the area.

My fav model is the VT II 300KW Gen III 6 speed in phantom Black,

Chris