Newbie from Central California

P

photog_gabe

Hello fellow members! My name is Gabriel and currently have 2 jobs so don't have very much time for detailing my wife's and my car. Only chance I have to wash our cars is early morning Sunday and only have a couple of hours. My second job is photography which consists of me traveling quiete a bit. I sometimes go to customers homes so I try to keep my vehicle clean at all times mostly for presentation purposes. Lately I've been using P&S Sales products and have seriously been considering making the move to Poorboy's World after lurking the forums for a few weeks and doing some research. I don't have very much experience in full detailing as I only wash and dry our vehicles but figured since that is all I'm doing I might as well use the best products I can afford. This is my usual process:

Prepare 2 5-gallon buckets with grit guards (1) fresh water (1) soapy suds
Use APC for wheels & tires and clean them good
Rinse vehicle
Wash vehicle top to bottom using sheep skin mitt
Rinse vehicle using flood method
Dry with waffle weave MF towel
Spray some detail wax and buff it out with MF towel
Apply tire dressing and wipe down door jams and engine with APC
I then clean inside and vacuum including cleaning windows

I wish I could do more but at the moment that's all I can do. For those that read the entire process, is there anything you would add or suggest something else that would make my process easier or faster? I already have to wake up at 6am and usually start work at 9am. Are there any PB products that you recommend? Any advice would be appreciated.

sscully

Advanced Helper
welcome to the site, a lot of good info here. It has helped me a great deal.

The one thing you might consider ( depending on the wheel type ) is using Spray & Rinse. It is down right magic. I have a set of pictures doing the sister in law's new to her used Stang. If you have hub caps, it does work well, I use it on the Mrs' G6, and it makes quick work of any brake dust and road grime.
- If you go this route, next would be to APC wash the wheels and wheel wells. Just make sure to thoroughly rinse them, and only use on a cool wheel ( don't drive it for 5 miles, then try to do it ).

Not too sure what detail wax you are using. If you are short on time you can use QW+. It is a wipe on wipe off product ( after hazing ) but it is a quick time to haze. If you want longer lasting, go with Polish w/ Sealant, and use QW+ as a boost, or if you want a quick shine up before going to a client's location, use Spray & Gloss.

You can use the Spray & Gloss or Spray & Wipe for jambs and the likes.

tire dressing, I use the Natural look, apply with a foam pad, and then dry off with a Torx multi wipe once I get it on all 4 tires. This is a muted shine, what I prefer.

Interior I use Spray & Wipe on the dash and glass ( in & out ) it is a great multi use cleaner ( not in the APC category, but does a number on dust ).

I have never used the P&S Sales products, so I cannot comment on what is an apples to apples and offer an opinion on them.

P

photog_gabe

Thank you so much for the great info. I have an '06 Acura TL and the wife has a '10 Mazda 3S both have alloy wheels. The Spray & Rinse sounds like a good product for the wheels. Do you use APC after the S&R on wheels? As far as detail spray I use a P&S Sales product. Spray & Gloss sounds great for me and will definitely keep a bottle in the trunk with some MF's. For tire dressing I currently use Black Magic tire gel. It was free after a $20 mail in rebate so I couldn't pass up on it. It is a PITA to apply and leaves my tires too shiny for my own taste. I have a feeling I'm going to love Natural Look dressing as I just want my tires to look clean.

Thanks again for all your help. Any other suggestions from other members would also be greatly appreciated.

sscully

Advanced Helper
I might get some APC on the wheel when washing the tire with a gong brush, but I do not make a point of washing the wheel.
- I am doing the spray & rinse 1st, so I get more than enough water for rinsing.

I spray S&R on all 4 wheel then go back around and rinse all 4 wheel ( total dwell time ! 5 -7 min ), then apply APC mix and scrub the tires, and rinse individually.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
Welcome to the forum Gabe :smt023 Spray & Gloss is my favorite after washing as a drying and gloss enhancing aid in one step.
Not really sure what i did before Spray and Rinse .. oh yes I remember, used a brush and got filthy on the return strokes :smt044
APC is so versatile, it will become a staple in your cleaning arsenal... cut it 15:1 and your bottle goes a long way.
I use Bold N Bright Gel on my tires .. just deep black look and no sling ... as for improving your system, I would replace your spray wax with Polish w/ Sealant or Polish w/ Carnauba .. both are just as easy as a spray wax but do more cleaning and lasts longer.

P

photog_gabe

Thanks for the tips Poorboy. Do you use S&G before you dry and then use Polish w/ Sealant? I keep hearing great things about APC. I can't wait to get my hands on these products. :) Do the tire dressings come with an applicator sponge?

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
Thanks for the tips Poorboy. Do you use S&G before you dry and then use Polish w/ Sealant? I keep hearing great things about APC. I can't wait to get my hands on these products. :) Do the tire dressings come with an applicator sponge?

yes before you dry .. PwS after it is dry ... sorry no applicator .. wouldn't really know where to attach it?

P

photog_gabe

Thanks again. I will be ordering a few items from poorboy's as soon as I run out of my current supply. I don't know if I can make it till then though. I'm really anxious to try these out.

P

photog_gabe

Well, I received my first order of PB. :)
Thanks everyone for all the help.

dd5b6d19.jpg