NEWBE wanting to learn

M

Mark59

I just bought my friends 1989 toyota pick up truck the paint looked ok so I waxed it with some color back from Migurias the paint really came to life and whats amazing about this truck is
there are hardly now dents or scratches. What I noticed is when you run your hand over the paint you feel little pumps or very fine oxidation which is not seen with your eye you can only feel it but on the sides the paint is smooth. THIS IS A WHITE TRUCK. So I was fishing around on the net and heard about Poorboys swirl remover and thats why I am here.

The article I found said to use the Poorboys swirl remover then use Pinnacle Liquid Souveran I think there was even one more product before the Pinnacle.
So I was going to buy the Porter Cable polisher and try and learn how to remove the oxidation and bring this color back to its best possible condition .
Also I removed the decals you will be able to seem them on the tail gate in the picture I was wondering if this can be buffed out to match the rest of the paint ?
This trucks paint is really good for how old it is.
But before I started my project I want to learn and hear from some people on here who can guide me .
I am really excited to learn and to get started IMGP1669.jpgIMGP1666.jpg
Thanks
Mark

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
Welcome Mark .. first to remove the "bumps" you will need to clay the truck .. you can read about that in the clay section ... then you will polish .. I'd suggest Professional Polish (PP) , then either use a glaze (White Diamond) or put on a couple coats of EX-P ... that will make you truck the best it can be.
The PP will be what removes the shading of where the stickers were , if it can be brought back

M

Mark59

Ok
So step one read about how to apply the clay in the clay section.
Then step two polish with Professional Polish
Step three use the glaze ( white Diamond or a couple of coats of EX-P.

I will look for all these products ( clay, PP, EX-P ) on this site correct ?
What about using an electric buffer like the Porter cable ?
And what pads would I use with this Porter cable ?
Thanks so much for your response

Welcome Mark .. first to remove the "bumps" you will need to clay the truck .. you can read about that in the clay section ... then you will polish .. I'd suggest Professional Polish (PP) , then either use a glaze (White Diamond) or put on a couple coats of EX-P ... that will make you truck the best it can be.
The PP will be what removes the shading of where the stickers were , if it can be brought back

G

Gus-Gus

Ok
So step one read about how to apply the clay in the clay section.
Then step two polish with Professional Polish
Step three use the glaze ( white Diamond or a couple of coats of EX-P.

I will look for all these products ( clay, PP, EX-P ) on this site correct ?
What about using an electric buffer like the Porter cable ?
And what pads would I use with this Porter cable ?
Thanks so much for your response

If you have a Porter cable it will make your work a whole lot easier than doing it by hand.. the question is how bad is the paint? is there marring or light scratches? i would start a smalls section with a white pad and pro polish and work it and then see if it takes care of any imperfections on the paint.. if not you can always use an orange pad..as everyone always says start with the least abrasive pad and product combo and then go from there..

So to make it easier...

Pro Polish : White pad.. (orange if needed)
White Diamond : Black Pad

If you choose to go the white diamond route you will need to top the glaze with something.. either wax or sealant

Wax or Sealant (EX-P) : Red pad speed of 1 on the PC OR by hand (im sure steve will say to go the by hand route after using a glaze but i still am too lazy and use a machine :)

M

Mark59

Gus Gus
Thanks so much for the input !
I think the paint is in very good shape for this truck,
So I will use the polish with the white pad like you say.
Then with the White diamond I will use the black Pad
And then apply the Ex-P with a red pad and speed on 1 or by hand.
Hope I have this right .
I am going to shop around for the best price on the net for the Porter Cable.
OH where should I buy these pads ???
Thanks again

If you have a Porter cable it will make your work a whole lot easier than doing it by hand.. the question is how bad is the paint? is there marring or light scratches? i would start a smalls section with a white pad and pro polish and work it and then see if it takes care of any imperfections on the paint.. if not you can always use an orange pad..as everyone always says start with the least abrasive pad and product combo and then go from there..

So to make it easier...

Pro Polish : White pad.. (orange if needed)
White Diamond : Black Pad

If you choose to go the white diamond route you will need to top the glaze with something.. either wax or sealant

Wax or Sealant (EX-P) : Red pad speed of 1 on the PC OR by hand (im sure steve will say to go the by hand route after using a glaze but i still am too lazy and use a machine :)

G

Gus-Gus

Gus Gus
Thanks so much for the input !
I think the paint is in very good shape for this truck,
So I will use the polish with the white pad like you say.
Then with the White diamond I will use the black Pad
And then apply the Ex-P with a red pad and speed on 1 or by hand.
Hope I have this right .
I am going to shop around for the best price on the net for the Porter Cable.
OH where should I buy these pads ???
Thanks again
Steve sells the pads for the PC and all the products listed above.. i also believe he *MAY* have a few PC's for sale you would have to give him a call or shoot him an email about that though..
His number and email:
Phone: 845-215-9700
Email: poorboysworld@att.net

BigLeegr

Token Brute and Chief Bottle Washer
Staff member
One thing to consider is that white paint is usually not clear coated, so you will be pulling off white onto the pads. Also, from what I've heard, white is a fairly hard colored paint, so it may take more effort/aggressiveness/time to get the same results that may be had on some other color (or clear coated) paint with less time/effort/aggressiveness.