Need some product help...

J

jeepwrangler

Hi all,

I am new to pbw and a rookie when it comes to auto detailing. I just finished restoring an older jeep yj and could use some guidance finishing the paint job. I painted it fire red with a single stage paint.(closest color to factory I could find) I have a few questions concerning products and pads. I plan on wet sanding the orange peel so will need to remove sanding marks and very minor imperfections.
1. Is it ok to wet sand with 1000 then again with 1500 (will da get these out)
1. Should I use the SSR mechanical polishes or something chemical based like the PPwC
2. After polishing do you recommend following with something like black hole, ex, then natty blue? not sure on these for the best finish
3. Since it's single stage should I stick with the white LC pads and finish my glaze,etc with black pads?
4. Finally, would you recommend the LC flat or ccs pads?

I know it's just a jeep but I want it to turn out great..it was a blast working on it and I'm really excited about seeing the finished product. Thanks in advance for the help...

P

Pockets

Hi all,

I am new to pbw and a rookie when it comes to auto detailing. I just finished restoring an older jeep yj and could use some guidance finishing the paint job. I painted it fire red with a single stage paint.(closest color to factory I could find) I have a few questions concerning products and pads. I plan on wet sanding the orange peel so will need to remove sanding marks and very minor imperfections.
1. Is it ok to wet sand with 1000 then again with 1500 (will da get these out)

Finish down to the highest you can go 1,500 is a little heavy try going to 2,500 or 3000

1. Should I use the SSR mechanical polishes or something chemical based like the PPwC

I would start with Master Cut or Pro Polish 2 as they will remove the sanding marks , then follow up with SSR2 and/or Professional Polish

2. After polishing do you recommend following with something like black hole, ex, then natty blue? not sure on these for the best finish

After polishing (a few steps will be needed) Black Hole will enhance the finish as well as hide any minor defects that were left behind after polishing, then top that with Natty's Blue for protection.

3. Since it's single stage should I stick with the white LC pads and finish my glaze,etc with black pads?

Yes, finish off with a black pad on the end step but you might need to step up to a orange light cut pad after wet sanding especially if you are using a DA, also remember when polishing with a DA you must use high speed.

4. Finally, would you recommend the LC flat or ccs pads?

Personal preference I prefer the CCS pads, they allow a longer working time by having little pockets for the product to sit in. Flat pads have limitations and do not do as well on curved body panels.

I know it's just a jeep but I want it to turn out great..it was a blast working on it and I'm really excited about seeing the finished product. Thanks in advance for the help...

Answers are above in red

Sorry this took so long to answer! Please post up any further questions you may have

J

jeepwrangler

Answers are above in red

Sorry this took so long to answer! Please post up any further questions you may have

Thanks for the reply Pockets.
I went ahead and placed my order before hearing back but looks like I'm headed in the right direction.
1. A couple differences is I didn't get the pp2 or mc; I ended up ordering ssr 2.5 and ssr1
2. I didn't get the ccs pads instead found a good deal on a 6pack of flats. (1 orange,2white,2black,1red)

Do you think I'll be ok removing the sanding marks using ssr2 with a light cutting pad and follow with polishing pad before moving on to ssr1?

Just received my pb products and it will be 30 days this week since I painted...excited to see results! I'll let you know how it turns out:)

P

Pockets

Thanks for the reply Pockets.
I went ahead and placed my order before hearing back but looks like I'm headed in the right direction.
1. A couple differences is I didn't get the pp2 or mc; I ended up ordering ssr 2.5 and ssr1
2. I didn't get the ccs pads instead found a good deal on a 6pack of flats. (1 orange,2white,2black,1red)

Do you think I'll be ok removing the sanding marks using ssr2 with a light cutting pad and follow with polishing pad before moving on to ssr1?

Just received my pb products and it will be 30 days this week since I painted...excited to see results! I'll let you know how it turns out:)

You should be okay with the SSR 2.5 and an orange pad after you go down to like 2500 sanding.

Then follow up with the 1

Lets see some pictures!

J

jeepwrangler

You should be okay with the SSR 2.5 and an orange pad after you go down to like 2500 sanding.

Then follow up with the 1

Lets see some pictures!

The weather has not been cooperating so it will be a few weeks before I am completely finished putting it back together..but I wanted to say WOW I am impressed with the poorboy products!! Hopefully these pictures post:

This is after 2 passes with ssr2.5 followed by 2 passes with ssr1...have to say I am very pleased so far..thanks again for the advice Pockets! I'll post the finished vehicle hopefully soon

IMG_20131121_160410.jpgIMG_20131121_144234.jpg

P

Pockets

Looking good keep it up!

She will look great when all done and put together!