My method on how to use a Porter Cable Random Orbital

blkyukon

Helper
The Porter Cable is great tool for the enthusiast that wants to take their paint to the next level. Unlike a regular orbital buffer, the Porter Cable has the power to breakdown polishes and safely remove the majority of defects (swirls, scratches, oxidization) in your paint. Since it’s a random orbital and oscillates, instead of just spin, there is very little worry about burning or damaging the paint, unlike with a rotary type buffer, which in inexperienced hands can do more harm then good.

There are 2 popular models the 7424 or 7336 models - they both look like this-

pc.jpg

They are both the same except for the counterweight the 7424 has a 5oz & 7336 has a 6oz. You will get more vibration using the wrong counterweight with the wrong size pad.

A "waxmaster" or Craftsmen single speed type orbitals are not comparable to a Porter Cable or De walt random orbital, because they don't have the power or speed to properly breakdown the polish. In my opinion, they are only good for applying/removing glazes, wax or sealants, not removing imperfections.

Example on using the PC

• Start with One Section and use the least aggressive polish/pad combo to get the job done...Depending on the severity it could be a medium aggressive polish and polishing pad
    [/*:m:2p66m3vb]
  • Work polish in completely (see polish breakdown stages here), remove residue, check work, repeat or go more aggressive (if needed) either by using higher speed, more pressure, a cutting pad or more aggressive polish…Determining whether to go more aggressive comes with experience and the more you polish the easier it is to decide.
  • After scratches/swirls are removed or minimized step down to a less aggressive polish/pad combo to remove any hazing left from the more aggressive polishes...again repeat if necessary.
  • Once the desired finish is achieved then move on to the other sections.
  • By starting with one section it will allows you to see what product/pad combo is needed without going too aggressive or not aggressive enough to get the job done.
  • Remember every car and their imperfections are different and just like choosing the right pad/product it's the same when choosing speed, pressure, movement, etc. [/*:m:2p66m3vb]

Now when using a polish you’ve never used before you need to figure out how it works and breaksdown before using it on the whole car.

One of the biggest questions I get or see is "how long do I work the polish for/how many passes before removing the residue?"

My answer to that is, using a PC is not an exact science, every polish is different and everyone has their own method or style, so you'll get different answers.

Time will vary - temperature, humidity, speed, speed of movement, pressure, pad, paint all play a factor on "how long to work the polish in".
You need to know what the polish looks likes when it's brokendown so you don't under or over work the polish. This is why good lighting is important!

Here is what I do with any new polish I use for the first time:

Using a 1’x1’ section - apply the polish the same as any other polish
  • Using little pressure and speed 4.5 - 5 work the polish in.
  • At each change in the polish I remove a section and see how the paint looks
  • Repeat at each change until very little or no hazing is present (this will very depending on the abrasiveness of the polish).[/*:m:2p66m3vb]

The reason for speed 4.5-5 and little pressure is, it goes through the stages slower so you can determine when it’s broken down without under or over working the polish. Now you know what it looks like when it’s broken down you can increase the speed, pressure, etc. to get the job done

Here is an example of what a PC with the the right product/pad can remove:

ssr3_home.jpg

More pictures, polish break down stages and Porter Cable Video can be seen here:
http://paintcare-n-detailing.com

B

Back in Black

show off!

j/k I love all the info you have and it has helped immensely for me.