Help with PoorBoys Pro Polish

S

skyzie

Hi guys and Girls
Could anyone help me with a problem i had removing Pro Polish after applying it to my ute (pickup) with a random orbital
with a Lake Country White CCS pad. I used the polisher at speed 5 and applied it till the polish became translucent. It
Started to dust at about the same time and it was extremely hard to remove with a micro fibre. And yes i applied it thinly.
Any help would be appreciated. Cheers.

RANDAL

RIP our Friendly Farmer
Id try Spray and Wipe lighty applied to soften. If that doesnt do the job try another application of Pro Polish to help remove the first application. Maybe try some Nattys to kind of help remove and apply a second layer of nattys when you are done. Any color of nattys might work.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
Hi guys and Girls
Could anyone help me with a problem i had removing Pro Polish after applying it to my ute (pickup) with a random orbital
with a Lake Country White CCS pad. I used the polisher at speed 5 and applied it till the polish became translucent. It
Started to dust at about the same time and it was extremely hard to remove with a micro fibre. And yes i applied it thinly.
Any help would be appreciated. Cheers.

Pro Polish needs to be worked until it basically disappears only a couple drops per panel .... there are only two ways you can get dust from PP .. one is that the pad was not clean and it's coming from the pad, two is the way too much product was used and the pad is gumming up.

G

Gus-Gus

Pro Polish needs to be worked until it basically disappears only a couple drops per panel .... there are only two ways you can get dust from PP .. one is that the pad was not clean and it's coming from the pad, two is the way too much product was used and the pad is gumming up.

Ive been known to be a little heavy handed with the Pro Polish.. And i agree you really have to learn to use as little as possible and to keep the pad clean and free of build up!

heck

Advanced Helper
I clean the pad after each panel, never had a problem and pro polish deep cleans the paint.

rickp001

Helper
Glad I came across this topic.

I have a question on the pro polish that I'm sure you can answer. I was using it today and applying it to a Lake Country yellow pad and a PC. Correct me if I'm wrong, the reason I used a yellow pad is to get a little more cutting power to clean the paint from mainly road grime. My paint job is in great shape (mainly thanks to PB), I use your stuff and its done a great job. The only crap on it is the typical road grime.
Anyway, what I noticed is that as Im working the Pro Polish after a while I get a build up on paint. I'm trying to work the product until it dries and basically goes away, but instead I get these little dots of built up product.
Am I correct in assuming I'm using too much?

Like I mentioned, my paint is in great shape and its a light color, so I can't really tell if it's doing anything or not. After a while I can see the paint starts to shine more but that its. The one thing that i do notice here and there is that sometimes little superficial marks or some type of road grime doesn't come off with the pad, but if I scratch it with my nail it comes right off. That's when I think I'm not using enough product or I'm not being aggressive enough with the PC.

Any additional education will be appreciated.

Thanks.

The way I'm applying it on the pad is I spin the pad and as it spins I squirt a line on it forming a circle. I usually do this with each panel of the truck, meaning I do this for the front door, back door, front quarter panel, half the hood, etc...

ronkh

Da King
Glad I came across this topic.

I have a question on the pro polish that I'm sure you can answer. I was using it today and applying it to a Lake Country yellow pad and a PC. Correct me if I'm wrong, the reason I used a yellow pad is to get a little more cutting power to clean the paint from mainly road grime. My paint job is in great shape (mainly thanks to PB), I use your stuff and its done a great job. The only crap on it is the typical road grime.
Anyway, what I noticed is that as Im working the Pro Polish after a while I get a build up on paint. I'm trying to work the product until it dries and basically goes away, but instead I get these little dots of built up product.
Am I correct in assuming I'm using too much?

Like I mentioned, my paint is in great shape and its a light color, so I can't really tell if it's doing anything or not. After a while I can see the paint starts to shine more but that its. The one thing that i do notice here and there is that sometimes little superficial marks or some type of road grime doesn't come off with the pad, but if I scratch it with my nail it comes right off. That's when I think I'm not using enough product or I'm not being aggressive enough with the PC.

Any additional education will be appreciated.

Thanks.

The way I'm applying it on the pad is I spin the pad and as it spins I squirt a line on it forming a circle. I usually do this with each panel of the truck, meaning I do this for the front door, back door, front quarter panel, half the hood, etc...

way way too much
after the pad is primed, you could use maybe 4 pea sized dots per panel, or half panel for large ones.

also yellow pad is eally quite aggfressive to just get road grime off. try a white pad if you don't need "correction"

rickp001

Helper
way way too much
after the pad is primed, you could use maybe 4 pea sized dots per panel, or half panel for large ones.

also yellow pad is eally quite aggfressive to just get road grime off. try a white pad if you don't need "correction"

Thanks for the reply. I dont need correction at all.

Wow!!! So I'm using way too much uh!!!

So you guys are using just a pea sized dot of polish per panel?? Do you mean on the pad, a dot in each quarter? or 4 dots on the truck panel like a door?

Thanks

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
Thanks for the reply. I dont need correction at all.

Wow!!! So I'm using way too much uh!!!

So you guys are using just a pea sized dot of polish per panel?? Do you mean on the pad, a dot in each quarter? or 4 dots on the truck panel like a door?

Thanks

I am a bit confused... you don't need correction but you are using a cutting pad? Are you sure that is not one of the new Gold pads which is a finishing pad?
The yellow would scuff the finish and should be used after wet sanding. I would go with a Black Finessing pad which will work out light marring and clean the paint. Yes, drops at a time as stated before after the pad is primed ... your method reminds me of the old days in the body shop :)

rickp001

Helper
I am a bit confused... you don't need correction but you are using a cutting pad? Are you sure that is not one of the new Gold pads which is a finishing pad?
The yellow would scuff the finish and should be used after wet sanding. I would go with a Black Finessing pad which will work out light marring and clean the paint. Yes, drops at a time as stated before after the pad is primed ... your method reminds me of the old days in the body shop :)

Thanks for the reply. I'm not a pro or anything like that, I'm just a guy that likes taking care of his truck and keep it looking nice.
Let me ask you, are there different yellow pads? From your post I'm getting the impression that the yellow pad is very aggressive. I thought is was a mildly aggressive pad. Am I way off on that?

I only use the yellow pads once a year or so. I try and do what I call the full detail of the truck twice a year or so, meaning I wash it, clay it, polish it, then I seal it with EX-P and then I wax it. The rest of the year, I just wash it and wax it.
From what I can tell, my paint doesn't need any correction. To be honest I thought I might need the yellow pad to remove the road grime and other stuff that normally sticks to a paint job over time. When I originally got the pads a few yeas back I got a couple of yellow pads to have something with a just a little bite to it. I figured that using a yellow pad with a mild polish like Pro Polish, would work well to get all that stuff off, especially if I've gone a real long time since my last full detail or polish. Please let me know if I'm wrong on this.

If it hasn't been a long time since my last polish, then I use a white pad for the PP. For everything else, meaning the sealer (EX-P) and the wax (Nattys) I use a black pad.

When it's all said and done, to me the truck looks great. The paint feels smooooooth and soft soft soft.

So i guess I shouldn't be using the yellow pad, correct? What else should or shouldn't I be doing?

Again, thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate the info.

R.

NINaudio

Advanced Helper
The clay should be pulling off the road grime and other impurities that are stuck to your paint. With Pro Polish for light cleaning all you need is a white pad.

You are on target with applying sealant and wax with the black pad.